Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helping a buddy check out a ski

so a buddy at work is getting into jet skis and wants to go look at a ski for sale that he found online. its an 07 RXP with 35 hours on it. he askes me to go down and check it out with him since ive had jet skis since 2004. ive had an 04 GTX and have an 07 RXP.

now i dont think the person selling the ski would like us going down there and un bolting things and pulling parts off, but are there any things that we should look for visually? i thought looking at the pump shoe, tunnel, impeller, hoses, clamps, and maybe the plugs would be a good idea. anything else you guys could think of? im going to ask the seller if they would be willing to have the ski taken to a shop for a checkout if everything looks good visually. my buddy would probably have to put down a little deposit or something or pay for the shop to take a look at the ski, but i figured that would be something i would want to have done before i bought a ski.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

+1
    Pull the plugs and do a compression test. I think the kit can be found at harbor freight for something like $20. Check all the things you metioned in your post. Also, remove the intake hose going into the supercharger and check that the supercharger impeller doesn't spin freely by hand. It's only 1 clamp, so the seller shouldn't mind. Ask the seller if the ski ever had any issues or repairs. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Villen View Post
    so a buddy at work is getting into jet skis and wants to go look at a ski for sale that he found online. its an 07 RXP with 35 hours on it. he askes me to go down and check it out with him since ive had jet skis since 2004. ive had an 04 GTX and have an 07 RXP.

now i dont think the person selling the ski would like us going down there and un bolting things and pulling parts off, but are there any things that we should look for visually? i thought looking at the pump shoe, tunnel, impeller, hoses, clamps, and maybe the plugs would be a good idea. anything else you guys could think of? im going to ask the seller if they would be willing to have the ski taken to a shop for a checkout if everything looks good visually. my buddy would probably have to put down a little deposit or something or pay for the shop to take a look at the ski, but i figured that would be something i would want to have done before i bought a ski.

any other ideas would be appreciated.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    ride the sucker also.

Lol, well it wouldn't start so we couldn't ride it. The intake grate was also cracked in half. Wear ring looked pretty beat. Seat was torn, fiberglass on the left rear of the ski was chipped about 1/4 inch deep and about the size of a quarter. Right mirror housing was rubbed down to grey fiberglass.

I'm thinkin he should pass on this one

Also it was kind of weird. The pump area looked a little different between mine and his. Both skis are 07 rxp's. There were a few things on the rear that looked different. I think mine may have been an early production 07 because i got it right at the beginning of 2007 in San diego, maybe they changed a few things during the production year. Any thoughts?

Half of the intake grate was actually missing. Didn't look good. I know it's a pretty easy fix but if that's broken who knows what else has happened to this ski

+1
    That low number of hours with that amount of abuse - WOW - I would pass on this thing if I were him? If that much noticeable visual damage is present, you never know what internal abuse is on the engine or other items. If the intake grate is cracked or missing it hit something hard and the wear ring also backs up careless riding on the CO's part. It takes a good amount of force to just crack it. I would definitely pass especially if it doesn't run. Just my $0.02.

+1
    Yer sounds a bit dodgy to me? Was it a bargain price? Why wouldn't it start?

They wanted almost 7000 for it. And they said it wouldn't start cause of a dead battery but when the key was attached all the gauges worked and it didn't throw a 12 volt low code.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Villen View Post
    They wanted almost 7000 for it. And they said it wouldn't start cause of a dead battery but when the key was attached all the gauges worked and it didn't throw a 12 volt low code.
    maybe they are trying to stuck you with a blown engine or ceramics inside, pass on it, if you cant test it then dont mess with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information