Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

98 Octane Fuel in RXP-X

Does the ECU in the RXP-X have the ability to detect the difference in 93 and 98 octane fuel?

I regularly run ValvTect 93 Octane fuel but if performance would be improved I would gladly add some octane booster.

I did some searching around the board and saw some discussion of octane boosters but didn't find an answer to this question. If it is out there I'm sorry to ask a duplicate question.

Assuming performance is improved with 98 octane fuel what is the best octane boost to use with these skis? I buy my oil from Amsoil and could easily get the octane booster from them if that is the way to go. If something else is better I'd love to hear about it.

+1
    BND Automotive Aces IV better than octane looser! I use this with running 87 octane fuel in my RXP with no problems what so ever.
    Last edited by oklagp1200r; 12-15-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Update

+1
    From sources I have read your engines performance will actually be hindered by running a higher octane fuel than what is recommeded for your engine. Nevertheless I am in Australia and I run shell V-power 98 octane from the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    BND Automotive Aces IV better than octane looser!
    Are you trying to spell loser? I know its a tough word smart guy.

If you aren't going to be helpful why post? Nothing better to do?

Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    From sources I have read your engines performance will actually be hindered by running a higher octane fuel than what is recommeded for your engine. Nevertheless I am in Australia and I run shell V-power 98 octane from the pump.
    The specs from SeaDoo claim the engine requires gas between 91 and 95 octane in the owners manual so I'm guessing 98 octane won't hinder things, I'm just trying to determine if the really high octane stuff will improve performance.

I just referenced the owners guide and it claims that 95 octane fuel is recommended for optimal performance. I am trying to find out if there is a real world difference in performance in a mostly stock ski if 95 or 98 octane fuel is used instead of 93 Octane.

I can add any number of different octane boosters in including Valv-Tect (I use Valv-Tect 93 Octane currently), Amsoil, Torco, Lucas etc.

+1
    Where are you located? States? AUS?

Quote Originally Posted by MSRXP View Post
    Where are you located? States? AUS?
    I'm in the US - outside of Chicago.

+1
    the only way higher octane will help performance is if you have higher compression or you jet down on a two stroke.the higher the octane the slower it burns.the lower the octane the more chance of pre detention.if you run 100 octane on a two stroke you could go down two to three jet sizes.on a four stroke you will have less chance of pre detention but be rich.

Quote Originally Posted by rjeffery View Post
    the only way higher octane will help performance is if you have higher compression or you jet down on a two stroke.the higher the octane the slower it burns.the lower the octane the more chance of pre detention.if you run 100 octane on a two stroke you could go down two to three jet sizes.on a four stroke you will have less chance of pre detention but be rich.
    That's what I thought - I'd need the extra Octane if I wanted to increase compression or up the boost on the ski just like in a car. I've been working on and racing supercharged cards for a long time but there is a lot of conflicting information even conflicting info direct from SeaDoo.

Thanks for clearing that up!

+1
    Ahh, ok. IMO when you are running higher boost in a forced induction engine, the higher octane usually helps out with the detonation issues by the higher RPM's and boost. For instance, in my car I run 93 at 1 bar or 14.22 psi. When I step up to 1.5 bar (21-22 lbs) I run 103 and 116 over 1.5 up to 2+ bar (28-30psi) to better prevent issues from detonation or blowing the engine. The more load or pressure you build within the engine requires higher octane fuel. If you run too high of an octane you could run really rich. If an engine is rated for a certain fuel, put what is recommended in it. Too high of an octane can actually be bad(running rich) I guess is what I am saying. I would get an AFR gauge and see what it is doing when you run the different fuel and get a fuel computer to adjust it. The timing will also need to be adjusted. That will be your best idea at what is best for your craft.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information