Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polaris Ski wont idle

ski will work when out of the water and for the first 20 mins or so, then when i bring it back in to pick someone up it wont idle i'll have to choke it when starting it and then throttle away, it will work then but not at top speed, i can hold in the throttle the whole way and it won't throw me with steering at full lock, if i ride it over some wake it sounds like the engine picks up revs and then goes way better but if i slow down again it gets all sluggish, theres a bit of oil on the spark plugs andthis is only the first time i've taken it out this season but it was also doing this at the end of last season, i was thinking old oil maybee or dirty petrol that the engine has to burn through ????? i've really got no idea.
    Cheers
    BTW its a polaris SLTH 1999

+1
    Hi Benfromaus, sounds like it could be either of the things you mentioned. Did you empty the fuel/oil tank and replenish with fresh before the first ride this season? I would start there. You should also do a compression test now on the engine, you don't want to find out half way through the season you need some work done! Other things you should consider is getting your carbs cleaned up or perhaps running a rebuild kit through them. On a more depressing note, you may have a dodgy stator. Up until 2000 or so the red domestic engines had stator/cdi issues that would eventually fail. Hopefully it's not that, but even if it is easily fixed. Have you taken a look at the pwc knowledge site? It's a great info source for ya.

Whereabouts in Oz are you?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by benfromaus View Post
    ski will work ... for the first 20 mins or so, then ... it wont idle

I'll have to choke it when starting it and then throttle away, it will work then but not at top speed, i can hold in the throttle the whole way and it won't throw me with steering at full lock,

if i ride it over some wake it sounds like the engine picks up revs and then goes way better but if i slow down again it gets all sluggish,

... it was also doing this at the end of last season

its a Polaris SLTH 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    ...getting your carbs ... rebuild kit h them.

...Up until 2000 or so the red domestic engines had stator/CDI issues that would eventually fail. ..
    As urugol mentioned, the 1996-1999 'domestic' red engine ignition systems are not reliable and often fail over time. Symptoms vary, but changing engine power when the engine warms up can be one of the symptoms.

Polaris sells an Ignition System Update Kit that includes a newer design stator, CDI, and for the two cylinder engines a new ignition coil. See my signature links for the details.

If the fuel tank venting check valve has stuck closed, it will cause a fuel starvation problem due to vacuum build up in the fuel tank. Next time you are riding, when the problem happens stop the engine. Then crack the fuel filler cap open. Do you hear a strong rush of air pressure? Release the air pressure, then go riding again. Does the problem go away? If yes, replace the fuel tank venting check valves (there are two).

If you have not done so yet, internally cleaning and rebuilding the carburetors with genuine rebuild kits is highly recommended.

If your engine still has the original grey Tempo brand fuel hoses, then all the fuel hoses should be changed, AND the carbs rebuilt.

My advice:
    Rebuild the carbs
    Check the entire fuel system from tank to engine. Inspect/clean the fuel selector valve. Replace fuel and oil filters.

Plan on upgrading the ignition sooner or later.
    Last edited by K447; 12-17-2010 at 12:04 AM.

@ K447-14,591 posts WOW you've clearly helped heaps of people out so cheers from all of us, i believe the stator was replaced when i had the last service cause it was losing power after 5 mins, i will proceed to look at all of these things, again thank you
    @ urugol- im in victoria and can't find anyone who will work on a polaris there like the plague here

+1
    Yeah no one works on these anymore, but trust me you are better off learning about your machine and maintaining it yourself its rewarding and you will save a load of cash! If you are after parts don't bother talking to any dealers on the gold coast either, I get all my stuff from USA for a fraction of the price (if you can find here). Men of goodwill like k447 are rare but there are quite a few here that will always lend a hand. I knew nothing myself a year ago, now I know a little more and taking on my own projects. I know personally if it wasn't for this community I may not have ended up with 3 Polaris'

+1
    ...I believe the stator was replaced when i had the last service cause it was losing power after 5 mins...
    Was the stator replaced with another of the original type, or the upgraded Gen III type?

hey again guys, first off i checked the check valves they are both working fine but plan to replace both them and the fuel lines because they are indeed the old grey Tempo ones, i will also endevour to rebuild the carbs with the help of a mate with some engine knoledge, where is the stator so i could check a num,ber on it to tell you what type it is, again little to no knoledge about jetskis but would like to learn, when i took it out last night an observer with another jetski said that it was riding pretty low in the water i never noticed as i am generally the one riding it but it does draw to mind that when i take the ski straight of it'll work fine for 20mins then if i slow down or stop it'll get "sluggish" wont idle when sitting and has no top end power but when i hit some waves i can hear the engine revs pick up and stay higher then if i stop again it gets all sluggish, can the exhaust get water into it and get blocked of or somethin ?????? plus i've never been able to get another person on the back it just stalls, Cheers Happy Holidays

+1
    ...the fuel lines because they are indeed the old grey Tempo ones, i will also endeavor to rebuild the carbs with the help of a mate with some engine knowledge,
    Carb rebuild is highly recommended. Be sure to use OEM quality parts.

A very clean work space is important. Carburetors need to be 100% pristine when put back together.

Read up on how to do the rebuild properly. Don't skip steps, and make sure all the small internal passages are cleaned out with carb cleaner.

where is the stator so i could check a number on it to tell you what type it is,
    Stator is behind the flywheel on the front of the engine.
    Rather than checking the stator directly, what is the part number(s) on the CDI module inside the electrical box? There may be a handwritten number on the front or back of the module, so check both sides.

... when i took it out last night an observer with another jetski said that it was riding pretty low in the water i never noticed as i am generally the one riding it
    The only reason for a PWC to ride low in the water at idle speed would be if there is lots of water inside the hull, adding weight. Easy enough to check by removing the seat and looking for water. You can do this while out on the lake, just don't fall off or drop the seat into the lake

In fact, riding without the seat can be a useful diagnostic. If there is an exhaust system leak into the hull it will adversely affect engine operation and reduce power. Riding with the seat off allows plenty of fresh air into the hull despite an exhaust leak. If riding without the seat makes a difference in how the engine runs then hunt for possible exhaust leak(s) inside the hull.

Normally there should be maybe a few cups of water, usually less, sloshing around in the very bottom of the hull. My own Polaris might have a cup or two of water inside after riding.

If you find any substantial quantities of water in the hull during or after riding, then you need to find where the water is coming in and correct it.

...It'll work fine for 20mins then if i slow down or stop it'll get "sluggish" wont idle when sitting and has no top end power but when i hit some waves i can hear the engine revs pick up and stay higher then if i stop again it gets all sluggish,
    Again, sounds like a carb or fuel system problem

can the exhaust get water into it?
    The exhaust is a 'wet' design. Water is sprayed under pressure into the exhaust flow from the engine to cool the exhaust gases down and to reduce exhaust noise levels. The 'muffler' is actually called a waterbox, and it normally contains water accumulated from the exhaust water injection orifice.

The hull will float normally with water in the waterbox, since that is how it is meant to work.

... I've never been able to get another person on the back it just stalls...
    A properly running engine should almost never stall once warmed up. Warm up times are just a few minutes.

Running properly, a warm engine should start and idle reliably. Response to the throttle should be consistent, reliable and near instantaneous, with full power available every time.

Some carburetor engines can 'load up' with excess fuel during prolonged idling, which hampers initial throttle response afterwards. Short idle times should be no problem in terms of throttle response.

Cheers will look into it, Happy Holidays Everyone

sorry to bust balls but how do i find out the right size for a carby rebuild kit for my ski, or could someone tell me how big it is, or even better link to the right product cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information