Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Symptoms, but no loss in speed/RPMs

So my 05 RXP has been showing signs of some type of "slipping" from idle - 5/6K rpms. In other words, if i gently accelerate off idle, its as though the impeller doesnt "catch traction" until I goose it up to 5 or 6K+ rpms. At this point, the ski is getting up on plane and then continues as normal.
    Meanwhile, max speed and RPMs are normal.

If I nail it off idle, it still does it the same way. Just dont notice it as much because it gets on plane and rpms come up faster.

The best way to sum up the symptom is that its EXACTLY the same type of symptom as if it were a sports car with a horrible clutch disc ---> no "drivetrain traction" until you get up to speed and/or RPM and then it grabs fine.

Being that this is a jetski, im having trouble understanding what this might be. The motor is apparently fine and nothing has happened to my pump assembly other than the dealer replacing the bearing way back in Sept.
    Im running a 15/20 with SS wear ring....both of which are fine. I actually noticed this symptom a little bit this past month or so. It's either getting worse, or im just noticing it more since i played with the throttle under gentle acceleration etc.

Anyone???

Thanks!

+1
    Is it the feeling of cavitation you are feeling? Like you rev it and it goes no-where till your up till 6K?

+1
    Sounds like your carbon ring boot is getting weak and causing the ring to suck air under vacuum, Or a air leak where the pump mates to the transom.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAShark View Post
    Is it the feeling of cavitation you are feeling? Like you rev it and it goes no-where till your up till 6K?
    Yes....like cavitation along with not going anywhere until it planes/hits 6K+ rpms

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Sounds like your carbon ring boot is getting weak and causing the ring to suck air under vacuum, Or a air leak where the pump mates to the transom.
    Could be but then he should be feeling cavitation. Could either be that or his engine mounts are broken and the engine is not aligned properly.

Also, this ski (minus the motor) has 150hrs on it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Yes....like cavitation along with not going anywhere until it planes/hits 6K+ rpms
    What BD said, it's your Boot that is getting weaker or your engine mounts.

I thought when those carbon rings go bad, the ski would take on water. Is that true or am i confused with something else?

Also, is this the type of problem that causes anything else to break if i dont get to fix it right away? I ask because i suspect that it started maybe a month ago (about 4-6trips to the water).

Lastly, is this an expensive dealership repair? My fukn pump bearing cost me $400 in Sept....i felt that was kinda high.

+1
    The carbon ring is held in place by a flexible according boot that can get weak. Its an easy DIY job although removing the driveshaft "c" clip can be a bitch. Item #41 is the boot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    I thought when those carbon rings go bad, the ski would take on water. Is that true or am i confused with something else?

Also, is this the type of problem that causes anything else to break if i dont get to fix it right away? I ask because i suspect that it started maybe a month ago (about 4-6trips to the water).

Lastly, is this an expensive dealership repair? My fukn pump bearing cost me $400 in Sept....i felt that was kinda high.
    When your carbon ring goes bad you typically see a black vertical line across your hull. The "boot" or rubber piece which is between your carbon seal and hull gets weak and causes the cavitation to happen. you normally do see some water int he hull but most of it your bailer tubes take care of.

I'd recommend changing out the boot which is your cheapest option and isn't all that hard to do. Just need to take out the driveshaft which with some patience and some elbow grease is not that big of a deal. Don't take it to the dealer!!

If it is your motor mounts then you might need some help with that. the hard part is not changing them out you can also do that yourself with a buddy to help. the part that is important is re-alligning the motor correctly.

There aren't any reputable shops in your area which work on skis and is not a dealership?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information