Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

NEED HELP! with oil pressure problem!...

OK, here`s the deal, some of you know last weekend I had an oil alarm go off. So after I repaired the ski from the rock situation (prop), I ran it again today, this time pretty much high tide...
    Warmed up ski, level is a tad high, you can fast idle around up to 2500-2800 with no alarm, but go over 32-3500 and alarm immediately comes on and ski goes into safe mode, pull lanyard restart ski and alarm goes off , accell past 3200 again and alarm comes back on . One thing I did find out is that if you manage to get ski beyound the 32-3500 rpm`s, I mean it will sputter with oil alarm lit, but if you hammer threottle and get past that point of RPM`s it will continue to rev to 8150!!!, So what`s the deal here? Do I need new switch? is there more than one? and where are the oil pressure switch(s) located on the 4-Tec?
    It didn`t do this prior to oil pump replacement where we know oil pressure was very low and did not trip the alarm... You can speculate that debris is now forced into oil pressure switch, but why does it go to 8150 then??? Has me stumped. Can someone with knowledge of this please help?...Thanks...PR...

There is no code, I check for code immediately after shut down with lanyard still attached and all`s it says is END...???...

If I do need the switch, where can I get one now???...

+1
    The wire (single wire) going to the rear oil pressure sensor pulled out of the connector, or the sensor is bad. Its the oil pressure sensor in the side of the block back by the throttle body.

Thanks Jer, is this common? I`ll check the wire.
    how can it go from oil alarm past the point that triggers it to 8150 and then crap out? very strange...PR...

+1
    See if this helps you test the OPS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opstest.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	10327  

+1
    Very common problem. Especially when the engine or intake manifold was recently removed. That wire doesn't have much slack and it frequently pulls loose causing the exact problem you are experiencing.

Next Question:

To my knowledge, the OPS was never removed or disconnected, the cover was removed while the engine was still in the hull. The wire is still attached to the sending unit...

I was able to make the light come on while on the trailer, but after it cooled a bit, it won`t doo it now, just freaky...

How do you get that sucker out of there??? I can see it but how...???...PR...
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 11-05-2006 at 04:38 PM.

+1
    Take the throttle body off and you will be able to get to it.

Did Derrick mess with the oil pressure regulator? If so it's possible it could have been over tightened crushing the cage. (this happens pretty frequently too)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Take the throttle body off and you will be able to get to it.

Did Derrick mess with the oil pressure regulator? If so it's possible it could have been over tightened crushing the cage. (this happens pretty frequently too)
    What does this mean? crushing the cage does what? Thanks Jerry!...PR...

+1
    The oil pressure regulator has a spring loaded piston that travels in a cage. If the OPR is over tightened the cage can be crushed also causing the problem you are having

This happens pretty frequently as well. I've done it myself

The OPR shouldn't be tightened past the O ring which seals it. If it's past the O ring then you can be certain that the cage is crushed.

Banned User

Talking

Fixed a few of them too. Ive had three rxp's needing that sensor. Better Investigate.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information