Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bearing Loctite?

I am working on rebuilding my 1200pv motor, and one of the crank bearings is missing the locking pin. I was told there was a Loctite product that I could put on the outside of this bearing before I put it in the case, that will lock the bearing to the case and keep it from spinning. Anyone know what the Product is?

Also should the PTO be installed with loctite?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
    I am working on rebuilding my 1200pv motor, and one of the crank bearings is missing the locking pin. I was told there was a Loctite product that I could put on the outside of this bearing before I put it in the case, that will lock the bearing to the case and keep it from spinning. Anyone know what the Product is?

there is a green loctite "bearing retainer" product, but I usually use a drop of red on top and bottom of each bearing to help with chatter.

I wouldnt rely on the loctite to keep the bearing from spinning... fix the pin IMO

The main loctite products for retaining bearings are the 600 series green products. Commonly used ones are 603,641, and 660. They are not commonly found at your local hardware stores. I have used red threadlock #271 to retain bearings. But for this application I would order the pin or just measure it and cut a drill bit to length and use it. It is not worth all the effort on the rebuild to have something like a missing pin cause you to do it over again.
    The PTO is normally installed with loctite anti-seize and not a thread retaining product

The pin is broken off....apparently sheared during some previous event. I am not sure I can get out the remaining part of the pin that is still inside the race. So looking for other options.

+1
    The pin is broken off....apparently sheared during some previous event. I am not sure I can get out the remaining part of the pin that is still inside the race. So looking for other options.
    if the pin was sheared off in the bearing
    it would have taken a lot of force to do that
    so i would be replacing it for sure (the bearing that is)

+1

there is a new one out not sure of the no. tho. we used at work on a large bearing and hit it with a large hammer and it never moved. try contacting loctite they will advise you.

Can't replace the bearing without replacing the crankshaft....not in the budget.

I have called Loctite and they are working on an answer for me.

Loctite wants to know the size of the gap between the bearing and the case....anyone got an idea?

Loctite wants to know the size of the gap between the bearing and the case....anyone got an idea?
    It's a negative clearance. The case journal is actually smaller than the bearing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information