Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

New info about R&D's watercooled SC housing

I know myself and a few others have been talking about some of the really kick ass products coming out here very soon. Wanted to share some info I got from Glen @ R&D and I made sure it is OK to post on the forum.

It's not all done yet, but they do have prototypes. Bill tested the first prototype the other afternoon right before he had to leave for a race in Dubai. Here is info direct from Glen:

The test boat base lined with 16.5 lbs boost @ peek rpm of 8750 / Reprogrammed ECU w/9000 rpm limit.
    The addition of only the water-cooled housing onto the same charger and wheel netted an increase in boost to 18 lbs. and the rpm increased up to, and laid on the 9000 rpm rev limiter. So we need to go back and raise the rev limit in the ECU to see the full improvement the water-cooled housing really makes. But so far, we are extremely impressed with the initial result. Testing will resume in again over the holidays. I'll keep you posted.

The charger is now the coolest thing in the engine compartment. The temperature of the charger now mirrors that of the lake water, which represents about a 200 degree decrease in charger temperature. Ya, just stupid! By controlling the heat at the source with the addition of the water-cooled housing adds efficiency to the intake system. The intercooler can only do so much, it doesn't have much time to do it's job because the air passes through it so quickly.

This is AWESOME results IMO. Cannot wait to get my hands on one. Maybe push my C3 wheel to over 15 pounds. Then I can have E1/C5 performance out of a wheel that has virtually NO SURGE.

I know a lot of you guys like pushing the envelope and shooting for the moon, which is awesome... but for us rec rider guys who want as much reliability as possible along with high performance, parts like this mean we can go further and further on LESS BOOST which is much more clutch/engine friendly.

R&D will eventually offer a full replacement SC which will also fit the optional water cooled housing. This is just my best guess but I expect the housing will be available in the first quarter of 2011. Probably more near the beginning than the end. I just know that once they have prototypes it doesn't take long at all for it to be officially released.

Nice work Glen and thank you for keeping us in the loop! Just sucks my driveway is one solid sheet of ice!

+1
    Sounds awesome. Excited about the new year. If I understand it correctly, the people who have the most to gain are ones running inefficient I/C's. Might not be such a great upgrade for everyone.

Sound right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BPnta View Post
    Sounds awesome. If I understand it correctly, the people who have the most to gain are ones running inefficient I/C's. Might not be such a great upgrade for everyone.

Sound right?
    Their test boat showed those gains even on top of a very efficient intercooler setup. So, based on that, I would say this is an excellent upgrade for ANYONE wanting lower IATs, more boost out of their wheel, and more RPM. Granted people with inefficient SC setups may see slightly more gains, but having a good IC setup is still a must IMO.

Hell based on the initial RPM gains this could equate to a couple MPH. We'll have to wait and see. If I hear more I will add to this thread.

+1
    Cool hitman. Yet again, thanks for sharing!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I know myself and a few others have been talking about some of the really kick ass products coming out here very soon. Wanted to share some info I got from Glen @ R&D and I made sure it is OK to post on the forum.

It's not all done yet, but they do have prototypes. Bill tested the first prototype the other afternoon right before he had to leave for a race in Dubai. Here is info direct from Glen:

The test boat base lined with 16.5 lbs boost @ peek rpm of 8750 / Reprogrammed ECU w/9000 rpm limit.
    The addition of only the water-cooled housing onto the same charger and wheel netted an increase in boost to 18 lbs. and the rpm increased up to, and laid on the 9000 rpm rev limiter. So we need to go back and raise the rev limit in the ECU to see the full improvement the water-cooled housing really makes. But so far, we are extremely impressed with the initial result. Testing will resume in again over the holidays. I'll keep you posted.

The charger is now the coolest thing in the engine compartment. The temperature of the charger now mirrors that of the lake water, which represents about a 200 degree decrease in charger temperature. Ya, just stupid! By controlling the heat at the source with the addition of the water-cooled housing adds efficiency to the intake system. The intercooler can only do so much, it doesn't have much time to do it's job because the air passes through it so quickly.

This is AWESOME results IMO. Cannot wait to get my hands on one. Maybe push my C3 wheel to over 15 pounds. Then I can have E1/C5 performance out of a wheel that has virtually NO SURGE.

I know a lot of you guys like pushing the envelope and shooting for the moon, which is awesome... but for us rec rider guys who want as much reliability as possible along with high performance, parts like this mean we can go further and further on LESS BOOST which is much more clutch/engine friendly.

R&D will eventually offer a full replacement SC which will also fit the optional water cooled housing. This is just my best guess but I expect the housing will be available in the first quarter of 2011. Probably more near the beginning than the end. I just know that once they have prototypes it doesn't take long at all for it to be officially released.

Nice work Glen and thank you for keeping us in the loop! Just sucks my driveway is one solid sheet of ice!
    very good news.........
    a concern or two about over revving a motor with oem internals.
    but, if you are running a magnum pump or a twin prop.
    the rpms should be controllable with a greddy bov.
    i am ready to pre order one as soon as possible.......

+1
    Well Done! they are great results!

The stock housing is the most restrictive part in the s/c setup. Hence why people running big wheels aren't getting the boost flow the big boys state. The flow rate is limited by the outlet in the housing not the blade, also the housing plate is only held in place by one screw. Hence why the housing/wheels that we are working on will flow alot better with the less restrictions.

R&D are doing a great job!

+1
    Last time I checked my S/C housing ran at 165F (Infrared gun) after some hard runs, if it were at sea water temp 85F that would mean much more power. Maybe my E1 would run like an H1, time to bend the prop again

+1
    any ideas on price yet. are there any pics yet.

+1
    Those are two areas that have not been shared with me yet but when I know something and am allowed to share, I will certainly let you know. Usually the pricing gets announced when the final release is made and Jerry will make that post letting us know when we can start ordering.

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Kinda makes you wonder how well this housing would work in conjunction with the stock IC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information