Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1

Skat Trak Seal Carrier Upgrades.

Starting this thread for the reason only to find whom upgraded their seals and bearings in their skat trak bearing carrier.

PLEASE NOTE: This thread is solely for the purpose above, if you are going to recommend not to run it or criticize it, please don't post here.

I read somewhere that the seals can be upgraded with better ones such as Viton seals. I'm curious as to where to find these online. I'm also looking to know who dumped the silicone adapter and is running a different alternative.
    I will be running a 2" marine grade exhaust hose made by gates. I know the problem with the silicone one is that over time it weakens due to the constant torquing of the drive shaft.

I ran seal carriers on all my 2 strokes and if maintained properly this will work.
    I prefer them better than carbon rings.

+1
    Any local bearing house can get you the seals and bearings. I use Eastern Bearing. the seals and bearings are marked with a number..

+1
    Try the silicone hump hose coupler , it will give you the flex with out any problems ..

It is a bit like the oem coupler but one large hump only ...

+1
    of all the silicone couplers we have tried they havent worked for shit..they are slippery inside and have seemed to find a way to pull off..IF your gonna use a silicone coupler i recommend scuffing it up with sandpaper inside and applying a bead of silicone to it also...We have found with theses aftermarket seals that the OEM accordian boot works best..BUT i dont know it it will work with the Skat seal..

+1
    I will try motion industries. I'm not too sure about using the accordion boot, how ever its its probably stronger than any silicone couplers. Silicone couplers were not designed to be torsion strong. So the silicone coupler is out of the equation.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Is there an upgrade? Like a total replacement? Ok..... silicone boot is chit, clamps are chit, bearing is chit, circlips are chit. Sign me up for the upgrade.

+1
    Ok I am not sure we are on the same lines but I have been using the high boost high temp stuff and have no problems at all ....

The OEM boot will stretch forward , we have tested and about 20mm has been the worst .When you get over 70mph+ the pump pressure will cause the oem boot to push forward ...

Always use carby cleaner or brake cleaner to prep the surface on both sides and use the same OEM clamp, bit of sikaflex and she is all sweet ...

Get some good seals, align your motor /pump/shoe and a clean straight shaft ....Then 90% of your problems will be gone ...

These bearing systems are high ...high ....maintance ...

Do it right and keep an eye on it and she will be right ....

+1
    I cant speak for the Skat seal only the RAD 4...We had almost 8 of them up here in Chicagoland and of the 8, 7 of them sunk the skis..we played and did everything humanly possible to get this seal to work...We aligned engines,changed and tried many different couplers(including scuffing,cleaning and siliconing them to the pump tunnel),tried every possible grease and clamps out there that would fit and in the end we had the same results..the only seal that worked and worked well was the OEM accordian boot..Yes it does travel forward some BUT if you do the accordian boot mod to it, it will already be extended pretty much as far as it can go + or - a few mm....Also the accordian boot gives the seal some flexability IF the engine is off some in alignment or under engine torque/twist...

Fortunately for you,you havent had any problems yet.But for most of us,i cant say the same...

+1
    I dont like the design of the RAD4 since the shaft has to be machined and made smaller therefore the times the bearings spin will be greater.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I dont like the design of the RAD4 since the shaft has to be machined and made smaller therefore the times the bearings spin will be greater.
    Bro I know you said not to post anything negative so forgive me in advance. My buddy here Chad IBADTON ran the skat and his ski sunk TWICE from it. He maintained the thing properly as well. The second failure sent pieces of the seal (punctured) his rear air and fragged both his 2rude and his IC. This cost him at least 2k. He replaced it with a ET 68/140 and had Erik salvage his IC.

Please consider this a friendly warning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information