Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fair price for Seadoo's?

Southern California... 05 RXT with 56hrs and 04 RXP with ~120 hours. They come with nice double trailer and the carts you can store them on. The superchargers still have the ceramic washers, but the ski are in excellent condition with no issues. The guy is asking 8500 for the pair, which looks good to me (according to KBB and NADA). Is this a good deal or should I be concerned with the superchargers?

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    I think the price is fair, you could always make an offer at 7,000-8,000 and see what happens. But they are basically ticking time bombs without a warranty.

These SC 4 strokes are normally very reliable but when they drop a valve or something you can be looking at major repair costs (up to $6,000-7,000) for rebuild parts and certified labor, unless you wrench on them yourself. You definitely want to give those SC's a close look and see if they spin freely or not.

My best advice is find some units that are still under the extended Sea-Doo B.E.S.T. warranty which can be transferred into your name.
    Last edited by YoYamma; 12-18-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Is the issue just the superchargers and the ceramic washers or should I be concerned with the ski's in general?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand View Post
    Is the issue just the superchargers and the ceramic washers or should I be concerned with the ski's in general?
    I think the ceramic washers with the supercharger are the weakest link in a mostly reliable platform. The ceramic washers can easily be replaced. But as I said; dropping a valve or something like that in a 4 stroke is still a very real possibility. If something like that happens, the problem is the parts and labor are very expensive. They are complex engines compared to the old 2 strokes, and they all break at some point, no matter which brand.

Beyond that, you have to inspect the hulls very carefully and make sure there was no impact damage at some point. It's just like anything else, you are basically rolling the dice when you buy something like this without a warranty.

+1
    Your getting some good advice from YoYamma!

If you know the owner very well, know how they have been maintained, know their entire history, then I'd consider the purchase, otherwise I'd walk away! You can get a pair from a dealer used, WITH a BEST extended warranty, and have peace of mind.......he is right in that you are really rolling the dice......If you do purchase them, I would immediately have the BOTH SC's rebuilt and have a professional fully go over the entire ski, engine, impeller, wear ring, pump, etc. etc.......complete workup!

good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Your getting some good advice from YoYamma!

If you know the owner very well, know how they have been maintained, know their entire history, then I'd consider the purchase, otherwise I'd walk away! You can get a pair from a dealer used, WITH a BEST extended warranty, and have peace of mind.......he is right in that you are really rolling the dice......If you do purchase them, I would immediately have the BOTH SC's rebuilt and have a professional fully go over the entire ski, engine, impeller, wear ring, pump, etc. etc.......complete workup!

good luck
    I agree. I bought my 06 RXP last year and the original owner bought 4 year BEST warranty. He bought it new in early 07 as a leftover model. I would definitely look for ones with the extended warranty. I have a warranty until the end of 2012. Can't beat it IMO. Peace of mind is worth the extra money. Regardless of what or where you buy from, I cannot stress enough to rebuild the SC's IMMEDIATELY. That alone will not eliminate the chance of failure. However, it will greatly reduce the chance of failure occurring within the SC. Also, the valves in the 04 and 05's have a higher chance of failure if I am not mistaken. 06+ have the newer valves installed.

Man you guys make it sound like a curse to own them sure they drop valves and have bad washers but as you know at some time these are not going to have warranty's during there life time, so with that being said he could pay a little less and address the issues these seadoos have by the reduction in price from the seller.. Does anyone know if you can buy a extended warranty from seadoo after the fact????????????????? Cya Slick

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    Man you guys make it sound like a curse to own them sure they drop valves and have bad washers but as you know at some time these are not going to have warranty's during there life time, so with that being said he could pay a little less and address the issues these seadoos have by the reduction in price from the seller.. Does anyone know if you can buy a extended warranty from seadoo after the fact????????????????? Cya Slick
    We are just telling the truth. That's what user group forums are all about. It's not that they are a curse, but you have to be prepared for the risk. It really wouldn't do people any good if we blew smoke up their azz and told them a pack of lies. People come here for straight up answers.

And the answer to your question is no, Sea-Doo will not "renew" the extended warranty after it expires. You can get a third party warranty but they are expensive and the general consensus is they are not worth the paper they are printed on. Caveat emptor.

Not being rude but I am not sure you read my post before you posted instead of saying you can't buy these with out a warranty because of all there problems they just say this is what needs to be fixed and maybe you should ask the seller for a cheaper price to offset the items that needs to be fixed... We all know what the forums are for that's kind of the reason evryone is here, to learn and not to be scared away from buying a seadoo.. That's pretty much all that needs to be said so enjoy your seadoo purchase.. Cya SLick.
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    We are just telling the truth. That's what user group forums are all about. It's not that they are a curse, but you have to be prepared for the risk. It really wouldn't do people any good if we blew smoke up their azz and told them a pack of lies. People come here for straight up answers.

And the answer to your question is no, Sea-Doo will not "renew" the extended warranty after it expires. You can get a third party warranty but they are expensive and the general consensus is they are not worth the paper they are printed on. Caveat emptor.

Hey Coolhand here is a thread that can help you with the super charger repair and the cost, because once you know the cost you can have a better idea on what to offer this guy for the pair of them.. Cya Slick

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...charger+repair

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information