Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

what marine paint do you guys recommend?

hey guys, its time to start planing the next set of mods for my 951 x4. one of the things i want to do is make the hull seamless and repaint. i really dont want to do the gel-coat thing again (to much work...and i suck at it). so like the title says, what marine paint do you recommend?

I was looking at Pettit Easypoxy, but it is not recommended for below waterline use if moored for 2 days or longer. If you ALWAYS trailer it is supposed to be fine and gets good reviews, but apparently will blister if left in the water for 48 hours. What I liked about Easypoxy was an off the shelf Burgundy, roll on or brush, single part, ability to color-sand/ polish, gel goat like finish, and the idea of super easy repairs. I looked at similar Interlux and West Marine paints for a burgundy I liked, but didn't find any. Depending on the color you want, Pettit Vivid anti-fouling bottom paint might be work if you moor for longer than 2 days. I'm not worried about anti-fouling but want something that can be in the water for a week.

I'm leaning towards Gel Coat, but I have never sprayed it, only done some ugly patch repairs.

+1
    thanks for the info. i always trailor. never in the water for more than 10 hrs. and i just want a standard black. nothing fancy. do you have a link to the easypoxy?

as for you thinking of doing gelcoat on your ski... think hard about that. spraying it on is just as easy as paint (once you thin it). its all the wet sanding afterward that will kill you. gelcoat doesnt level out and your hull will look somewhat like a golf ball after spraying. to get a nice shine, you need to go gradualy from 180 grit to 2000 then polish. let me put it this way. i did the bottom of my x4 (you know how small that ski is), it took me 3 weeks at 4hrs+ a day to get it to shine. i had to reapply in some spots because i didnt get it on thick enough the first time. what i am saying is be prepared to put ALOT of time into sanding. thats why i dont want to do it again. however, there is a reason boats are gelcoated from the factory.

For what you are doing, I wouldn't use marine paint. There are no marine paints that can match the durability of the urethane paints they make these days for cars and industrial equipment. The obvious downside of paint vs gelcoat is that paint chips and dings showing whatever is underneath, whereas gelcoat is much thicker. I personally wouldn't use anything but gelcoat on the lower hull, but if you accept the fact that it will get scratched, go with numerous coats of urethane. PPG makes a fantastic industrial urethane called AUE-100. It's a two-part system, super strong but cheap. I paid like $65 for a gallon system (3qts paint, 1 qt activator) of gloss black for my pontoon boat. One downside of urethane; you need to use a charcoal respirator or fresh air system while spraying as the isocyanate in the hardener is deadly....

http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=45

Reviews were at Jamestowndistributors or something. I ended up reading reviews on project boats at Whaler and Mako Forums and somebody's Bat-boat project...

I have been all over the place with this too. I have many repairs to fill, so my original plan was to use an epoxy barrier coat and paint Imron over that. Then I found Easypoxy. When I read about blisters from under Easypoxy even with a barrier coat, I started leaning towards gel coat. I would give up overall durability for ease of repair. Yamaha paints their hulls, must be with 2 part urethane like the PPG and Imron. Dood no blisters on your pontoon? Different substrate with its own issues, how did you prep the aluminum?
    Last edited by retro jet; 12-20-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: for clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by retro jet View Post
    Dood no blisters on your pontoon? Different substrate with its own issues, how did you prep the aluminum?
    Oh, I didn't paint the 'toons, I only used it on the sides. I restore cars as a hobby, so I have all the spray equipment. I use urethane on everything, tractors, boats, machine tools....

There's a picture of it in this thread about the whole build of the pontoon:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...te-sails-again.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    For what you are doing, I wouldn't use marine paint. There are no marine paints that can match the durability of the urethane paints they make these days for cars and industrial equipment. The obvious downside of paint vs gelcoat is that paint chips and dings showing whatever is underneath, whereas gelcoat is much thicker. I personally wouldn't use anything but gelcoat on the lower hull, but if you accept the fact that it will get scratched, go with numerous coats of urethane. PPG makes a fantastic industrial urethane called AUE-100. It's a two-part system, super strong but cheap. I paid like $65 for a gallon system (3qts paint, 1 qt activator) of gloss black for my pontoon boat. One downside of urethane; you need to use a charcoal respirator or fresh air system while spraying as the isocyanate in the hardener is deadly....
    ahh thanks for the info. i was planning on doing this myself in my garage so the toxic fumes is not the best idea. so now i'm second guessing myself. might do gel coat again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    I use urethane on everything,
    +1. Everything in this thread was done with 2k urethane. Definitely scratches easier but sure looks good.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=76998&page=2

A decent resperator is about $20.

+1
    thats the look i'm going for. but when you say it scraches easier, is that like its going scrach everytime i trailor it or just the the standard scuffs from beaching and such? because in summer i ride 2-3 time a week and i ride some marsh trails that you only have a 30 minute window at high tide to get down. its deffinatly a recreational racing ski...well sorta. more rec than anything

I think what he meant to say that when you scratch a paint (versus gelcoat), you see it easier as the paint is not as thick so you see the undercoat easier. Urethane paint is much tougher and harder than epoxy or basic acrylic enamels. If you choose to use paint, use urethane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information