Thread: Oil change

Oil change

Guys,

Last week, I did an oil change in which I put about 4.5 quarts with new filter. I extracted every ounce of the old oil using the 6.9 west marine pump from both holes (it almost filled the whole container).

Anyways, last night I was going to the owner's manual , and found this part to be confusing.... The instructions said to use 4.5 quart with new filter. Then it says "To fill the oil tank to the upper level, oil should be added in two steps.

12. Pour the recommended oil into the oil thank, approximately: 3.2 US quart. Wtf?

I have a 2002 f12x

Tnt

General rule, add the same amount of oil that you pull out (assuming there is no water or gas in the sump and that the oil level is good before removing). Plus, no matter how hard you try, with a dry sump system, you will never be able to get all the oil out. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by baba booey View Post
    General rule, add the same amount of oil that you pull out (assuming there is no water or gas in the sump and that the oil level is good before removing). Plus, no matter how hard you try, with a dry sump system, you will never be able to get all the oil out. FYI
    Good rule. But don't you think putting back 7 quarts is kind of nuts )? That is how much I extracted.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tractng View Post
    Good rule. But don't you think putting back 7 quarts is kind of nuts )? That is how much I extracted.
    4.5 quarts only!

Quote Originally Posted by tractng View Post
    That is why I mentioned the part about making sure the level is good, first.

Dry sumps make this a difficult process. I've always just done a minimum add (3-4qts.) and then run it for a few seconds, let sit for a while and recheck the level. It's the only way I could think of to verify the actual amount. Replacing the exact amount that you remove isn't always easy nor exact as you will always burn some oil off.

I build Horsepower
    +1
    From Search...the Nitro method.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=nitro+method

Nitro method for checking oil level

"Best way is to level the engine and check the oil after setting overnight with the dip stick in the lower REAR sump hole (by the turbo)"

This will give you the most accurate readings.

Shawn

I pump out all I can and then go back with 4 quarts and filter. It is easy to overfill. Imo it's better to be a hair short of full than too much.

For the last four years my process has been to pump out all that I could - usually 5+ quarts. Then fill with 4.5 quarts and a new filter. I check the oil level on the lake after ridiing a little and it has always been good. Why I pump out more than I put in is a big mystery to me - some say it is "fuel dillustion" - hey the ski has run great for 4yrs with not one problem and 248 hour on it

Thread Information