Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Throttle Body Question

I recently had some work done to my ski. When running the ski after the repairs all was good except for my RPMs. The idle adjustment screw is all the way in and it is only at about 1000 RPMs and at WOT I am only getting 7300. Prior to the work being done, the idle was a little higher 1200 with the screw about half way and WOT was 7800+. It is seeming that the throttle body is out of adjustment. How can I correct this problem? It is turning all the way to the stop.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    It might be the idle control motor on the throttle body. I would back that screw out because I think its the throttle stop not the idle rpm control. I could be wrong though I haven't seen a stock throttle body since my ITBs got here.

Sean

+1
    Thanks for the reply Sean
    That is it the throttle stop I call the idle adjustment for the low end. If I back it out the engine dies. As I screw it in it raises the RPMs therefore out lowers until it is too low to keep running. It just seems that the whole range is out of sync. I have had an issue with the ICM or TPS whichever that would allow it to die if I just dumped the throttle from wot. This is different.

+1
    when you hit the stop button and turn the ski off does the motor make noise?

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    when you hit the stop button and turn the ski off does the motor make noise?

Sean
    When I push in the key it beeps and makes an electrical soung and a click. I start it then shut it down. there is the same sound a couple seconds after I shut it down then a few seconds later a few clicks and another electrical sound. Has always done those sounds

+1
    ok then the idle control motor is working. Have you checked the throttle position sensor to see if it has been moved? I would guess that the throttle position sensor is out of alignment so when the throttle is closed the sensor reads that it is open and therefor does not open the idle control valve. This would also explain the lower rpms, at large throttle openings the kawasaki ecu just uses rpm and throttle position to fuel the motor. if your tps is off its probably running really lean.

Just an idea though.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    ok then the idle control motor is working. Have you checked the throttle position sensor to see if it has been moved? I would guess that the throttle position sensor is out of alignment so when the throttle is closed the sensor reads that it is open and therefor does not open the idle control valve. This would also explain the lower rpms, at large throttle openings the kawasaki ecu just uses rpm and throttle position to fuel the motor. if your tps is off its probably running really lean.

Just an idea though.

Sean
    Here is the link to the video I took today trying to run the ski. I uploaded 4 this one is the link to the first. Check out all 4 and let me know what you think. Would not idle at all or start without holding the throttle. As soon as I let off it dies. At wot it would peak at 7300 but only hold right at 7000. Top speed of 48 compared to 58 norm with a best of 59.7
    I sent the videos to the dealer and awaiting reply. I am just wanting everything running good since everything is new. I guess just the fine tuning now.
    Could this be caused from the fuel pump being put back in a little out of position. I know they said when I put in the deep fuel pickup to be sure to replace the pump exactly where it was. Is this what happens if it was reinstalled wrong.
    The video and my narration sucks but it was for the dealer.

+1
    Have you pulled the intake off to see if the throttle body opens all the way under throttle? just based on what you have told me and the videos I would say its either the idle control valve on the throttle body or the tps.

Sean

+1
    I checked if the throttle pulls it all the way to the stop and it did but did not actually check the TB. I will do that today thank you again for your help.

OK just checked and when I pulled the intake system I saw this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001 (3).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	224396

I then started the ski to find this

I would think this could be causing an issue. Glad it didn't catch on fire.
    Would this be the whole problem? I will replace the hose and go retest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00003 (2).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	224397  

You may want to find out why the hose blew out, might be a repeat after you replace it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information