Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salvaged Title?

Salvaged Title?

The tranny on my 94 Camry is starting to go out, and so my dad and I are starting to look at cars for me. I am looking at this car, but it has a salvaged title. I am just wondering how cautious you would be with it? And what a salvaged title actually means.

Usually means it was "totaled" at some point. The title is usually colored differently (Michigan is orange). It is very difficult (impossible from what I have seen) to get a regular auto loan on it. Also, you typically cannot get full coverage insurance, just PLPD.

Plus side, it is an awesome negotiating point! Like offer them 3k and tell them what a pain it is, and go from there.

I know people that have put 100k on a salvaged car, no abnormal issues. Get a Carfax, and you will have a better idea why it was salvaged.

it would just be PLPD on it anyways im sure...and I dont think my dad would get a loan on a car for me.

In that case, just make sure to run a Carfax. Try to get an idea of what it was salvaged for. If it was a major accident I would be leary. You don't want something that has frame damage. Spend the little bit of money and have someone check it out, they can tell if it was a collision and if it will just be a headache. My dad currently drives a salvage car, although they didn't disclose that and obtained a regular (green) title anyway by shadily dealing with SOS. It worked for him, because I found it in the Carfax and he negotiated thousands down. It had been in a front end collision, but had no frame damage. He has had no problems except a radiator hose clamp popping off.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will talk to my dad tomorrow about it more. We still have to actually figure out if the tranny is going out on my car, but it feels like it is. They said that the airbags have been deployed, so I emailed them and asked if they had replaced them and to send me pictures of it before it was restored if they have them...thats a sweet car and I really want it haha.

+1
    It might have been stolen at one time. I had a Friend that rebuilt cars and I bought two of them from him. One justs had the seats and interior stolen out of it and the clutch was burn up and they totaled it. So it had salvage title. If you ever want to resell it you might have a hard time. But if you keep it and drive it Intel the tires fall off. you will most likely get your money wort. Just make sure it not a piece of shit. I had seen the cars that I had bought before they were fixes. So I knew what was done to them. I hope this help a Little.

+1
    Those early 90's Camry's are great cars.
    You might want to take to the dealer; I had my '92 in for service at around 120,000 miles one time and the dealer told me about a special transmission conditioning treatment they offered for older cars; they put it up on the rack and ran this special fluid through the tranny with the wheels turning for a while. Years later I ended up giving the car to my son with over 200,000 miles and the original transmission never gave out.

+1
    In a lot of states, the cost to repair has to be at least 75% of the value of the car to recieve a salvage title.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Those early 90's Camry's are great cars.
    You might want to take to the dealer; I had my '92 in for service at around 120,000 miles one time and the dealer told me about a special transmission conditioning treatment they offered for older cars; they put it up on the rack and ran this special fluid through the tranny with the wheels turning for a while. Years later I ended up giving the car to my son with over 200,000 miles and the original transmission never gave out.
    The V6 on my camry is still running great, I just feel like the car is falling apart. I broke my drivers side handle trying to open it when the door was frozen shut (my bad), and the exhaust has a hole in it and its really loud. I am just sick of driving such an old car. I also just had the rear struts fixed along with something else. My car just isnt worth putting a new transmission in it, or even having it repaired.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    The V6 on my camry is still running great, I just feel like the car is falling apart. I broke my drivers side handle trying to open it when the door was frozen shut (my bad), and the exhaust has a hole in it and its really loud. I am just sick of driving such an old car. I also just had the rear struts fixed along with something else. My car just isnt worth putting a new transmission in it, or even having it repaired.
    How many miles on it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information