Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cold start issue with 2002 Virage TXi

hey guys, well i am a new member from the land down under. just wanted to say how much usefull info this forum has.

well my issue with the 02 virage txi:
    it has a cold start problem where when cold it wont idle or run keeps cutting ou, but after bout 20mins of starting and holding revs up, it starts to idle by itself and than runs great for the rest of the day with any issues until the next time its taken out when its cold.

one thing i have noticed is if left in the sun for a while it will start and run without any issues but if you try to start it first up in the morning or late afternoon it plays up. i hope this all makes sense. i have fitted new plugs' the whole fuel system has been cleaned, tried tps, checked volatge at injectors, new battery, cleaned all terminals, but still have the same issue when its cold. the few dealers or jetski repairers here in australia where i am located, dont want to touch the ski, they all keep saying just put up with it till it blows up or stops running. it is driving me nuts. so i am lost to try and solve this mystery my self.

other than the cold start issue the ski is great goes good for the whole day once warmed up, just want to solve this cold start issue.

if anyone can give me some advice or lead me to the right direction that would be muchly appricated. i thought i have is possible coolant temp sensor if they have one? as i know that if the sensors goes in a car they usaully cause the hard to sart when cold issue.

thanks in advance elvin from austraila brisbane.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by evowagon View Post
    ...2002 Virage TXi:
    it has a cold start problem where when cold it wont idle or run keeps cutting out, but after about 20mins of starting and holding revs up, it starts to idle by itself and than runs great for the rest of the day with[out] any issues until the next time its taken out when its cold.

...if left in the sun for a while it will start and run without any issues but if you try to start it first up in the morning or late afternoon it plays up.

...I have fitted new plugs' the whole fuel system has been cleaned, tried TPS,

checked voltage at injectors,

new battery, cleaned all terminals, but still have the same issue when its cold.

...other than the cold start issue the ski is great goes good for the whole day once warmed up, just want to solve this cold start issue.

... possible coolant temp sensor if they have one? ...
    Welcome to the Hulk Elvin

What do you mean by 'tried TPS'?

How did you check injector voltage?

Voltage on the White/Red wire must be checked with all injectors plugged in. You can tap into the White/Red wires at any splice connection (just remove the cap/cover from the splice connector).

Injector voltage during cranking should be over 20 volts DC. As soon as the engine starts (warm or cold) the voltage should jump up to 40ish volts (39-45 volts typical) and become stable.

If the injector voltage is behaving, then the prime suspect may be the EMM.

As a test, next cold morning take a hair dryer out and thoroughly warm the EMM before attempting to start the engine. Don't completely roast the EMM, just get it warm If having a cold engine with a warm EMM solves the problem, then the EMM needs repair.

In addition to DFI Technologies in the USA, there is a bloke in Oz that repairs these EMM. His info is posted around here somewhere.

There are two temp sensors. One is in the exhaust water jacket, the other is tucked underneath/through the air intake flame arrestor base. You can check the ohm resistance of each sensor against specification.

The stock flame arrestor cover often cuts into the rubberized top of the Ficht air temp sensor. The solution is to trim back the plastic web from the cover so it clears the temp sensor. If the sensor dome has been cut then patch it with a small dab of silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk Elvin

What do you mean by 'tried TPS'?

How did you check injector voltage?

Voltage on the White/Red wire must be checked with all injectors plugged in. You can tap into the White/Red wires at any splice connection (just remove the cap/cover from the splice connector).

Injector voltage during cranking should be over 20 volts DC. As soon as the engine starts (warm or cold) the voltage should jump up to 40ish volts (39-45 volts typical) and become stable.

If the injector voltage is behaving, then the prime suspect may be the EMM.

As a test, next cold morning take a hair dryer out and thoroughly warm the EMM before attempting to start the engine. Don't completely roast the EMM, just get it warm If having a cold engine with a warm EMM solves the problem, then the EMM needs repair.

In addition to DFI Technologies in the USA, there is a bloke in Oz that repairs these EMM. His info is posted around here somewhere.

There are two temp sensors. One is in the exhaust water jacket, the other is tucked underneath/through the air intake flame arrestor base. You can check the ohm resistance of each sensor against specification.

The stock flame arrestor cover often cuts into the rubberized top of the Ficht air temp sensor. The solution is to trim back the plastic web from the cover so it clears the temp sensor. If the sensor dome has been cut then patch it with a small dab of silicone.

with the tps i got one from a dealer and fitted that which didnt make a difference. checked the injector voltage excatly how you stated do and is round 22on crank and jumps to 40 when started. never even thought of trying the hair dryer trick, i will give that a go and check the sensor under the flame arrestor. will posted back up with results. thanks heaps.

same problem

Quote Originally Posted by evowagon View Post
    hey guys, well i am a new member from the land down under. just wanted to say how much usefull info this forum has.

well my issue with the 02 virage txi:
    it has a cold start problem where when cold it wont idle or run keeps cutting ou, but after bout 20mins of starting and holding revs up, it starts to idle by itself and than runs great for the rest of the day with any issues until the next time its taken out when its cold.

one thing i have noticed is if left in the sun for a while it will start and run without any issues but if you try to start it first up in the morning or late afternoon it plays up. i hope this all makes sense. i have fitted new plugs' the whole fuel system has been cleaned, tried tps, checked volatge at injectors, new battery, cleaned all terminals, but still have the same issue when its cold. the few dealers or jetski repairers here in australia where i am located, dont want to touch the ski, they all keep saying just put up with it till it blows up or stops running. it is driving me nuts. so i am lost to try and solve this mystery my self.

other than the cold start issue the ski is great goes good for the whole day once warmed up, just want to solve this cold start issue.

if anyone can give me some advice or lead me to the right direction that would be muchly appricated. i thought i have is possible coolant temp sensor if they have one? as i know that if the sensors goes in a car they usaully cause the hard to sart when cold issue.

thanks in advance elvin from austraila brisbane.

I have exactly the same problem that you do, with my 2002 Virage txi. I have also done all the tests, but haven't tried a new tps. I really think it's more an emm problem. Trying to find who in OZ repairs those emm's, or I have to send mine to The States.

I did have a thread a while ago about my 2002 virage txi, with cold starting issues. Just to remind you. first thing in the morning it takes ages to get it going, probably around 15 to 20 mins. You start it, it idles for a few seconds, then cuts out. It keeps doing this for 15 to 20 mins, slowly getting better and better. Until finally it goes well. Then, it's fine for the rest of the day, then the next day, same story again. I am a bike mechanic, so understand how these systems work, but haven't had any previous experience with PWC's. I did see another thread with another guy having the same problem with his virage txi. Someone suggested heating up emm with a hair dryer and see if it starts. When I read this I went out and tried to start mine, which had been sitting in the sun for a few hours, and it started up first time, no problem. Next day, I tried in the morning, and it wouldn't run again, so used the hair dryer, but didn't seem to help. Maybe I didn't do it long enough. Weird though, how it runs perfect for the rest of the day, even if I leave it off for an hour or so.

I haven't done any more about it, but want to work on it now that it is winter here in Western Australia. From all the tests I have done, and the advice you gave, it seems like it may be the emm which needs repairs. You also suggested trying a new tps before we touch the emm. Do you still recommend trying a tps before I send emm for repairs ?
    Was wondering if you knew where I could buy a tps online for a decent price

Ive got a 02 virage txi thats doing the same thing. After about 15 minutes it runs fine for the rest of the day.

+1
    Another possibility is that the TPS needs to get warm.

Try warming up the TPS with the hair dryer. Don't cook it completely, just get it warm like it would be when the engine has been running for a while. If it runs better with a warm TPS and cold engine, then replace the TPS.

Similar problem.

I too have a similar situation to this. I have an 01 Virage. I am not sure mine runs better when it warms up though. I can keep it running if I feather the throttle. It dies when I unplug the TPS. I have a brand new TPS, checked both temp sensors, compression is 110/110/106. I checked the voltage on the white/red wire to center injector and when running, it is around 48 volts. Good ground to the TPS sensor plug, Brand new Battery, Brand new fuel pump. New plugs, new gas, I also bought an EMM off of E bay that said it came from a running ski. When I put that in, it has the exact same issue. I made one of those diode lights to check codes and it had a code about losing communication with the TPS. When it is plugged back in and runs for a while the error was gone and it all checked out OK.

+1
    OK guys, let's not get too many different machines mixed into the same thread here.

Sometimes different machines with similar symptoms may actually have different causes, and different diagnostic steps are needed to figure it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by looker_ford View Post
    I too have a similar situation to this. I have an 01 Virage.

I am not sure mine runs better when it warms up though.

I can keep it running if I feather the throttle. It dies when I unplug the TPS.

I have a brand new TPS, checked both temp sensors, compression is 110/110/106. I checked the voltage on the white/red wire to center injector and when running, it is around 48 volts. Good ground to the TPS sensor plug, Brand new Battery, Brand new fuel pump. New plugs, new gas,

I also bought an EMM off of E bay that said it came from a running ski. When I put that in, it has the exact same issue.

I made one of those diode lights to check codes and it had a code about losing communication with the TPS.

When it is plugged back in and runs for a while the error was gone and it all checked out OK.
    So is this machine working properly now, or not?

Did you clean the TPS pins and sockets? Dried dielectric grease can cause problems with the connections.

Try slightly squeezing the TPS harness connector metal sockets (I use fine needle nose pilers) to ensure a solid connection to the TPS pins.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information