Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

LA is now a Title State

Just some FYI, about a year ago, Louisiana became a "title" state regarding boats. Previously, owners were just issued Registration Cards as proof of ownership. As I understand it, all new purchases (dealership sales) will now include a title being issued to the owner, via the La. Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries (LDWF). If you currently own a watercraft, however, you can request a title. I did just that, to help make the transaction easier when I decide to sell.

Also, if you're buying a watercraft under the old registration card, be sure to understand how to verify if the watercraft is lien free. (Discussion for another day). Having a title will clear that issue up.

And, as always, watercraft trailers have titles issued by the Office of Motor Vehicles.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Just some FYI, about a year ago, Louisiana became a "title" state regarding boats. Previously, owners were just issued Registration Cards as proof of ownership. As I understand it, all new purchases (dealership sales) will now include a title being issued to the owner, via the La. Dept. of Wildlife & Fisheries (LDWF). If you currently own a watercraft, however, you can request a title. I did just that, to help make the transaction easier when I decide to sell.

Also, if you're buying a watercraft under the old registration card, be sure to understand how to verify if the watercraft is lien free. (Discussion for another day). Having a title will clear that issue up.

And, as always, watercraft trailers have titles issued by the Office of Motor Vehicles.
    That's good to know; I used to live there. Arizona is still a "registration only" state....no titles issued to Watercraft.
    Is Louisiana still a Succession State?? It means that if you die, your heirs inherit your debt. I thought that kinda sucked. Had a few loans when I was there, and remember reading that in the contract.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    That's good to know; I used to live there. Arizona is still a "registration only" state....no titles issued to Watercraft.
    Is Louisiana still a Succession State?? It means that if you die, your heirs inherit your debt. I thought that kinda sucked. Had a few loans when I was there, and remember reading that in the contract.
    Uggh, that's a terrible question to ask a non-atty... JK. What I Know: We are still a "common law" property state w/our laws modeled after Napoleonic Code (Only one in the Union, I think...). Which means, (ex. for pre-nups.) you can marry into debt and you can inherit debt. But I think you inherit debt only on real property and titled movables, but I'm sure all debt is considered when liquidating assets.

What I think I know: I think we finally got rid of "forced heirship" in LA. But you cannot remove a dependent child (18yrs. or less OR a "handicapped" child).

But getting boat titles is a step in the right direction. Sure, costs a little money up front (very little), but well worth it when purchasing a used vessel from Joe Consumer.

+1
    After reading what I posted above, some LA atty. should come on here and straighten me out... shouldn't be hard. But, 'flyems, you're right, LA law can be unfair (and ugly) at times...

Banned User
    +1
    After reading what I posted above, some LA atty. should come on here and straighten me out... shouldn't be hard. But, 'flyems, you're right, LA law can be unfair (and ugly) at times...
    Yes, I know that
    What a shocker it was when I moved there. But, LA also has a unlikeness to it, that I haven't found in any other state. There are just some cool places and things to do there. And, some of the people there are just....well, different

+1
    Choot Em Clint........ sorry the first thing that came to mind when you said different. People ask me all the time form out of state if everyone in Pierre Part is like that. I say well I live here..... Then they ask me again.... What does that mean?

I will go as soon as I can and get my title for my ski. Just a feeling to actually have the title of something paid for makes us feel like we have accomplished something.
    Gator, with this being the new deal in the state, will they issue me a title when I get my new ski?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Choot Em Clint........ sorry the first thing that came to mind when you said different. People ask me all the time form out of state if everyone in Pierre Part is like that. I say well I live here..... Then they ask me again.... What does that mean?

I will go as soon as I can and get my title for my ski. Just a feeling to actually have the title of something paid for makes us feel like we have accomplished something.
    Gator, with this being the new deal in the state, will they issue me a title when I get my new ski?
    How come you didn't think of "Gall"!!!! Or is it Gawl????
    Yea, it's kinda funny being in a registration only state, with my "title" in a plastic bag, in my Seadoo.

And, where I used to live, the name of the town was pronounced Law-Fay-ette.
    And I used to work in a place called Nawlins.......right next to the Huey P

Oh, and don forget, it's pronounced A....Cha...fah....lie...a, River. That's the one you go over on eye ten to get to Bah...tone Rooooge.
    And, Lake Pull...hard....it's near Ameeelia, down in Mor...Gaaaaan City.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post

Yes; it's my understanding that all new transfers (as of 2009?) will receive actual titles. But you might want to tell the dealer you want one just to make sure. I have the paperwork if you want to get one on Old Blue; I'm leaving the office now - I'll put the paperwork in my truck in case I see ya' soon...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    How come you didn't think of "Gall"!!!! Or is it Gawl????
    Yea, it's kinda funny being in a registration only state, with my "title" in a plastic bag, in my Seadoo.

And, where I used to live, the name of the town was pronounced Law-Fay-ette.
    And I used to work in a place called Nawlins.......right next to the Huey P

Oh, and don forget, it's pronounced A....Cha...fah....lie...a, River. That's the one you go over on eye ten to get to Bah...tone Rooooge.
    And, Lake Pool...ard....it's near Ameeelia, down in Mor...Gaaaaan City.

Da-yum; sounds like you could fall right back in place. You've at least go the bad English down pat. LOL.

Banned User
    +1
    Da-yum; sounds like you could fall right back in place. You've at least go the bad English down pat. LOL.
    ROFL....yep, and then sum. We actually used to call Morgan City, Moran City. Not for the people that lived there. It had to do with our base manager out on Amelia; he was a Moron. Lake Pull-Hard got it's name for when we had a full load of Beudraux in the chopper, and we were "pulling hard" to get her up in the ar(that's air in LA speak). In fact, Louisiana ranks #2 in the number of years I've spent in one State, next to Californ-eye-ah(where I grew up).

Never quite got used to the food. And why the hell they got to put Toni Sachiri's on Everything?? Damn white pepper and Cayenne Pepper....and probably some other pepper mixed in, just in case they forgot a pepper.
    All the offshore food was heavily "over-seasoned". Got used to that after awhile. Learned that BP had the best food, Shell was second, followed by....hmmmmm....gonna have to say that Exxon gas rig...I wanna say Vermillion 24 or so...about 13 air miles from Fourchon. They always had a great breakfast there. And if you were "crewing" that field, they treated you right, fed you good, and you got to sleep in the company housing in Port Fourchon, which wasn't all that bad.

Yea, I got lots of good memories of LA. I always liked the people. There was a "fortitude", or "attitude" about them that I liked. Kinda a cockiness, or "watch-this-chit" attitude. You couldn't tell them they can't do something. They'd just say; "watch me".
    Picked up a dude one night(flying for the hospital), had lost one of his fingers in an accident. Got to talking to him, and he said he was fine with it. He said: "only made it past the 6th grade, and nine was as high as I
    could count"
    Seen more than my fare share of injured oil rig workers, and they all had the same attitude. Tough as nails. Broken leg; "No problem......I got another one". You see where that goes.
    You just don't find people like that much in other states. It's almost like the show-me attitude of people from Missouri, but the other way around. "I'm gonna show you!!".....that's the Cajun Spirit. And I've only seen it in Southern LA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information