+1

breaking in new motor

i want to hear some opinions on braking in a new car motor. i had to rebuild my camaro engine because of low oil psi and later found a cracked piston and some other problems.

new rings, cam, cam bearings, lower end bearings.

what do you suggest the best break in procedure to be?

+1
    Drive it like you stole it. Are the bores honed at a 45 degree angle with a cross hatch? they should be.. are the ring clearences within spec? Has it been checked for taper and out of round in the bores?

If so, you should be fine. you can also use a drill to prime the oil pump . when the oil comes out of the lifters, your ready to go.

Just drive normally varying the speed of the rpms. dont keep them in one place.

+1
    the machine shop did all the machining. they were very impressed with the shape of the cylinders the tapper was off like .002 they checked for roundness and said that they were perfect. they honed the cylinders and picked the rings to match. i assembled every thing

i have read two different ways the old way work the engine up which is how i have done it in the past and how my dad told me to do it. and the new way which is give it a few hard accelerations and then let it cool and then vary the rpms

here are a few pictures. sorry i like to show my work off. after im done with this im going to start on my gp800r

+1
    yeah , i heard long ago, you had to break in the rings because they were new, todays rings are prescratched ive heard so no need to do anything, just drive it like its a new car basically.. noone breaks in thier new car do they? no they just drive it off the lot with no miles on it... thats what ive heard though sooo...

ive heard of rings having teflon coat on them to ease in the breakin period.. others say to warm it fully, run it thru different rpms while driving and still others say you have to warm it up, nail it to seat the rings and let it cool down.. then do it againa few times.. then normal cool down and drive normally.. Hard to say. for sure

do the instruction say anything about breakin procedure from the ring manf?

is that a high volume pump? I clean my pushrods first like chrome, then roll each one on a plate of glass with a flashlight to check for warpage.. I see you have break-in lube for the lifters! excellent. I like priming the engine with a drill to get the oil thru the mains and up to the lifter gallery myself

when I see it flowing on top of the rockers , I know I'm good there. then I pour a quart of oil over the lifter valley too. let them lamb baste in it. And I place all the lifters in oil and get all the air out of them before I put them in the bores.

looks great in there, new gaskets,heads,pistons,bores.. looks your ready to put it in soon.

Congrats..It will be fun to have it back together again I bet.

Are you doing valve lash before start up?

are you gonna check comp after its started or just leave well enough alone?.

+1
    when i got the rings they are in bags taped to each piston. I don't know what the machine shop did to them he said just keep each set with the corresponding piston.

+1
    Ask them if theres a difference between the lower and upper ring.. if they are interchangeable also ask if orientation of each one matters. sometimes they put a small dot on the top of them.. I'm assuming they have been matched with the correct end gaps for each ring.

+1
    yah he gave me pretty clear instructions the top ring was marked. im 100 percent positive the rings are in right. i followed his instructions and double checked the book which were the same as what he told me.

im positive about every thing. Except my break in procedure which i think i have worked out. And that i have the right lifter preload. i did it the way i read on line and watched a few videos but im still a little nervous. all my prior lifter were set by torq. i should have it started up tomorrow.

+1
    Great.... i'm ok with it, the dot goes "up" on the ring correct? other than that, Sounds like you have the bases covered. if it turns over(providing you have a good charge in the battery), look for signs of binding,,ie..hard turning over and check it..

Good luck! Torque the heads using new head bolts if they are the strech to yield type. they are only good once. hand tighten, starting in the center and work your way out. then 3 increments of tightening with torque wrench if thats already done, your good to go. looks like in the pic likes it done already.

make sure the intake manifold side seals dont slip on ya. I put silicon all the way across and lil blobs on the ends, then wipe off the extra. use teflon tape on the oil pressure fitting now before it starts to leak.. pita to access later on some engines depending where it is.

Make a vid of it starting up! we love videos!

+1
    i sure will make a video.

i bought new head bolts i used felpro ones. the intake gaskets were nice they had little push button clips to keep them in place. i think the oil pan gasket was the best. the original gasket ws 4 pieces. the new gasket was only one piece.

i used that Teflon on all the oil fittings.

if i get the computer back tomorrow from the tunner i will be able to start it up and post a video

Thread Information