+1

Fuel Line and compression?

I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs on my "old faithful" 900 (never ever let me down), and haven't started her up for the new season. So the first thing I did was to run a good comp test and I got 115/115/118. It was fogged at the end of the season so maybe comp is actually a little lower? What do you think should I re-ring this or should be good for another season?

Second thing is, I removed the carbs to rebuild and I noticed a white flaky residue on the fuel lines as per the attached pic, now it looks like it doesn't continue all the way down the line so I'm guessing I'm getting a reaction to the brass fittings but I thought I would ask in case it is something more sinister. Tempo lines were replaced last season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel line white.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	224443  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Personally, I'd save your $$$ on the re-ring and rehone of the 900.

You're putting alot of $$$ into the PRO and the other 900/1050 right now. Put it towards that, and run "ole reliable" until she gets really tired. (low compression won't leave you stranded, just won't run as crisp or fast as it should)

That white flaky corrosion in the pic doesn't look like it's from brass at all. That type of corrosion looks like alumium and salt to me. Brass will be green normally.

I have brass fittings throughout my skis and never had a bad reaction with them. HOWEVER, I am no where near salt water, so take it for what it's worth.

I would be inspecting that fuel system though, just for safety measures. That corrosion can clog your filters and cause some serious engine damage. Make sure to inspect your fuel selector switch too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Personally, I'd save your $$$ on the re-ring and rehone of the 900.
    Yeah but she's like my first girlfriend, first pwc so it's a little irrational I suppose. I am going to put the pro on hold to enjoy this fine weather for a while

If you treat the motor well, it should go several hundred hours without a re-ring. I wouldn't crack the motor open, unless there is something actually wrong with it. With that gunk in the fuel lines, I'd pull the carb rack off and check the internal filters, to be sure nothing plugged them.

+1
    Well the hour meter just reset itself to 0.1hrs so I guess its brand new again I wouldn't send it off to get re-honed I would prob just go with the old scotch brite hone method to bring up compression, rings for about 60 bucks and good as new.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by urugol View Post
    I wouldn't send it off to get re-honed I would prob just go with the old scotch brite hone method to bring up compression, rings for about 60 bucks and good as new.
    Why not get a flexhone and do the job right?

https://www.bolt.com.au/flexhone-180-grit-p-8475.html

KJ

Thread Information