Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: swing away

swing away

anyone get down with one of these?
    http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...230101&eq=&Tp=

I`m thinking I might try it

+1
    I thought it might be to light weigh for a bigger trailer. But for a two place it looks good. I have seen some hitches on campers snap off because of the length. Some campers have such a over hang it put allot of stress on the hitch. They were puling large cover trails.

I would think people need to use some common sense when using this. it is meant to swing away the tongue for easier storing.
    I wouldnt add length to the tongue, just being able to swing away 36" would give me that much more room in the garage or the tongue won`t be something you`d trip over...
    they have much larger ones for the larger tube. they are pretty sturdy...

+1
    I thought it went on the hitch end. I was thinking of something Else. I have a few Friends with wake board boats and they have them on the front. They are slick. I must have crack my shins on mind 50 times. How much do they costs? You must be getting hammer with snow right now. I saw on the news state of a emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    I thought it went on the hitch end. I was thinking of something Else. I have a few Friends with wake board boats and they have them on the front. They are slick. I must have crack my shins on mind 50 times. How much do they costs? You must be getting hammer with snow right now. I saw on the news state of a emergency.
    man you aint kiddin, hammered isnt the word. we are buried here...

I always have to step over the tongue to get to that corner of my garage, so I`m still thinking of this mod... I pretty much have the length I need now, works well with towing with the car and minimal water at the rear wheels. If I do this I`ll calculate where the best position is and post up some pics...

click on the link in the first post, they range from $74+ on up...

+1
    Thanks for the Info. Talk to you later. We are getting some snow now. I check back for photo when you get the tongue swing put on.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 feet Boy View Post
    Thanks for the Info. Talk to you later. We are getting some snow now. I check back for photo when you get the tongue swing put on.
    most likely after the new year, I`m not in a big rush, and I have a few pieces of tubing I need to dig out and scope out the project...lol...it`s going to require much longer safety chains tied past the swing away and a loop to prevent them from dragging the ground...ttyl...

+1
    Maybe you could keep your existing safety chains and just add two new short ones between the swing-away sections. I think I'd rather keep the main ones as short as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SurfRider View Post
    Maybe you could keep your existing safety chains and just add two new short ones between the swing-away sections. I think I'd rather keep the main ones as short as possible.
    the way it is set up is the chains are attached to the trailer tongue using an existing hole from the coupler just behind the swing away device, they go alongside the tongue and thru a loop preventing the whole length from dragging the ground. If the pivot were to fail the trailer itself would still be attached VIA the safety chains...

+1
    That sounds odd. Usually the chains should be right on the "trailer coupler", so they should be short. I'm guessing that your "swing away" is going to be a couple feet back from the coupler. You make it sound like the chains would have to be 5 feet long or something like that to go from the trailer, past the swing away, then the couple, then the vehicle receiver.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information