Newcastle, Oklahoma

Electric Room Heaters

Iam in the market for some new room heaters! I keep the house thermostat set at 68 and use portable electric heaters to keep the livingroom and the back bathroom room heated when we are home. The ones I have now have a thermostat on them so they cycle on n off. So what do you have or suggest as in brand and price? There is def some junk out there from my google research so let me know what you have that works!

Grosse Pointe, MI
    My dad just bought one of those big dish looking ones from costco. no idea what they are called. that thing puts out soooo much heat i am shocked. A guy at the store walked by and said he has had one for 2 years. It has like a high and low setting. not really specific temperature but this thing rocks

Lasko Ceramic element tower type heater found at lowes. it is digital, has thermostat, and rotates if you wish...
    I think it was near 50-60 bux.

also use a Stanley blower type heater, also has thermostat and cycles, but this one has low output and more for surface/low to the floor flow... also around 50 bux...

so far so good. I`ve even used these in the garage to take the chill out...Attachment 224577Attachment 224578

Northeast Indiana
    A really good friend of mine uses the EdenPURE Heaters and absolutely swears by them. I don't have any personal experience iwith them but if I was in the market for a heater I would definitely research them.

They heat in a totally different way than conventional heater heat. I've seen the ice melt off his truck in his garage and it's impressive the way these heaters work.

Bonita Springs, Florida, United States
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2492.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	224602200,000 BTU Just sold it way to big for my shop! Heat you garage to 130 plus degree in 5 min!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    ... use portable electric heaters to keep the living room and the back bathroom room heated when we are home.

The ones I have now have a thermostat on them so they cycle on n off...
    Portable room heater types - Radiant or warm air flow
    There are really only two types of electric heaters. Warm air flow and infrared radiant heat, or some combination of the two.

Warm air heaters
    Hot air heaters heat the air flowing through the unit. The air moves through the unit, usually forced by a fan.

Some heaters utilize natural vertical air flow due to the warm air rising through the unit. These tend to be physically larger units, often looking like a hot water radiator.

One advantage is that the natural convection heaters have less hot surface temperatures, so there is less chance of burning yourself or material (curtains, clothes, blankets).

Radiant heating
    Radiant heaters generate infrared light, which we feel as radiated heat. Rather than heating the air, radiant heaters heat the objects, furniture and people in the room. The side facing the heater will be warmed. The sides facing away from the heater will not be warmed. The air in the room is warmed indirectly as the warmed objects in the room transfer heat to the surrounding air.

Radiant heaters can make the room feel warmer almost instantly as you feel the warmth directly. Radiant heaters can focus the 'heat beam' into a narrow area, or spread it quite widely in front of the heater. The wider the beam the less intense the heat will feel.

Heaters that combine the two methods must split the available power between the two. The total amount of heat output is the same, since it is limited by the electrical supply.

Room temperature control
    Heaters always have a thermostat that senses ambient air temperature and regulates the heat output. The normal method is for the thermostat to simply turn the electric heat completely off when the temperature rises to the selected temperature, and turn the heat on again when the temperature falls below the lower threshold.

One problem with portable heaters is that the thermostat is typically located inside the heater itself. That means the thermostat has no idea what the room temperature is anywhere but right where the heater itself is located.

If there is a cool area in the room, but the heater is located somewhere else in the room, then the heater thermostat won't know how warm or cool the far side of the room is. For this reason often you need to put the heater where the room is coolest, or crank the temperature setting up higher so the heater keeps its side of the room toasty, and hopefully the cool side of the room gets warm enough to be comfortable.

Built-in electric baseboard heaters allow you to install a thermostat on the wall. If you locate the thermostat well, then the heater will operate to maintain a comfortable temperature in the room.

Thermal mass
    Sometimes there will be a thermal mass, such as an oil filled radiator or ceramic material. What this does is slow down the rate that the heater cools down and warms up each time the thermostat cycles. The overall heat output is the same, but the heat output changes more gradually.

All portable electric heaters have about the same heat output
    Heat output is limited by the electric supply. For a normal 120 volt, 15 Amp electric outlet the absolute maximum power available is 1800 watts of energy. Since electric safety regulations limit power draw to about 80% of that, most electric heaters are limited to 1500 watts of power consumption. Therefore almost all electric heaters will be rated at 1500 watts.

Some may claim 1800 watts (but are probably also 1500ish watts actual power consumption). Heaters rated for less than 1500 watts will simply put out less heat.

Electric heaters are also almost 100% energy efficient. Virtually all the electric power that goes into the heater turns into heat. A tiny amount of power runs the fan, but the bulk of the energy that goes down the cord turns into heat.

This applies to all types of electric heater. Advertising that suggests a particular brand or type of heater produces more heat than others is simply misleading. The differences are in how the heat is delivered, not in how much heat is produced.

Separate from producing heat for the room, the number one thing you can do for room comfort is improve the room insulation and seal air leaks where cold air gets in, or warm air gets out.

Thread Information