+1

Grinding ferrea valve tips!!

Looks like my valve lenth is about 45 thou longer than standard so am thinking will have to grind the tips down. Could anyone see a problem with doing this? Vern said he did his so am thinking should be ok to go but any comments would be appreciated!!!

Just a caution. You can't just measure the overall length to compare the length against stock. You have to measure the height off the spring seating area with the valve inserted into the guide and closed.

+1
    Yes thats what i figured , ihave a spare o7 head here which i measured from where the spring sits on the valve stem seal to top of standard valve then did the same to my head with the ferreas valves and found about 40-50 thou difference being the ferrea were longer. I am wondering wether the lifters can take that much extra length or is this my problem of low compression i am having with my engine???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper300 View Post
    Yes thats what i figured , ihave a spare o7 head here which i measured from where the spring sits on the valve stem seal to top of standard valve then did the same to my head with the ferreas valves and found about 40-50 thou difference being the ferrea were longer. I am wondering wether the lifters can take that much extra length or is this my problem of low compression i am having with my engine???
    do you have the right valve clearance
    that would be the first thing you need to check

+1
    What would you say is the right valve clearance ???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper300 View Post
    What would you say is the right valve clearance ???
    not sure what the factory specs are but i would want at least 5 thou clearance

OK these engine have hydraulic lash adjusters with approx. 2.5-3mm adjustment .what i do is bleed the lifter ( may require removal ) refit it in the assembled head and check for lash by pressing on the rocker arm. Basically you need to set the lifter up in the middle of its travel . Some may say set it up with clearance but this can damage the lifter and would only be done if someone had to much oil pressure and started pumping up at high RPM but more seat pressure is the answer to that problem . The Ferrea valve is probably longer to accomadate a reground cam where the base circle is reduced to create more lift . This is not out of a manuel. This just the way all hydraulic lash adjusters are set up in any engine . Hope this helps

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valve tip height 002.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	224845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valve tip height 003.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	224846

OK this is what i found. I made up a tool to accurately measure installed valve TIP height.
    1st pic is ferrea valves installed in my head (50 thou) These seats have been cut!!!
    2nd is standard valve installed in another head of 07 RXP (25thou)No seat cut.
    So have found that the ferreas installed in my head have 25thou taller tip height than standard. WHether this is enough to cause my static compression to be low and for engine to not run at full rpm i don"t know, this is just what i have found. I am tipping the valves to standard installed TIP height and will see what happens from there!!!

I also found that the ferreas installed in a standard head with untouched seats have about 15 thou taller installed tip height over a standard valve!!!!

If u bleed 1 lifter and the tip hieghts are all the same and check it youll know what u got . compression change would be trivial when u compare chamber volume to BDC cylinder volume

Thread Information