Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Idle too high

Idle too high

I've got a problem with my idle speed running too high. The MoTec file is set to idle at around 1600 but it idleing at 20000rpm.
    I've checked and rechecked all the hoses & manifold and nothing is leaking as far as I can tell. I was sure it was this as the idle climbs after a few seconds of starting. Plugs look ok too. I've just intalled the 2011 sprag due to another failure of the old style. I dont know this could have an effect on the idle speed. Has anyone had this issue and got any ideas I could try?

Get a Vipec( just joking mate) try and adjust your throttle plate.

Yeah, it's got to be something more... I changed the file uploaded it and now it just wont start *&^%$ Changed it back & still no luck.

It's got fuel & compression & I put new plugs in for luck but it doesn't start at all now. I'm completely out of ideas ............... but open to suggestions?

Stock Ski I hear!

+1
    look at the wires around where you were working
    i had the throtle body wires disconected and it idled high and would not rev
    i had to let the motec reset after pluging back in to get it to work properly again

+1
    On my ski the idle on the hose is always high around 1800 - 2000rpm. In the water it's 1600rpm.

+1
    if it happened after you replaced the sprag it has to be related to something you have removed or moved. timing would be another suggestion but only if you have been playing with it.

This time the sprag replacement went really straightforward & it all went back easy. I too am thinking timing now Nicjak. I've eliminated everything else I can think of. Fuel compression & spark.
    There is a Yammy issue with the flywheel moving. Does anyone know much about it? And more importantly diagnosing it?

I have had a timing issue before. But this doesnt have any similarities when comparing the symptoms when turning over. eg. last time it was crap on my magneto (from a sprag schrapnel dropping into the sump and eventually bouncing back & up at the back). When that happened I still had some sort of firing (misfiring) going on when turning over. This time its just like a motor completely out of fuel. But fuel is getting to the combustion chamber, the plugs are covered in it. There is a spark. Compression is really good.

I am almost out of ideas except for a moved flywheel which I think has been an issue in these motors? I think I know where this is going...............................

+1
    any news?

+1
    hope it is something simple Mandy
    seems a bit strange that the timing would move on the crank while changing the clutch
    i would still be looking for a wire loose
    it may be just one wire loose in a connection plug
    giving the impression of spark and fuel but in reality just a random occurrence

kev

kev

No I still don't have it even close to running Nicjak. I've tried another motec and the stock ecu but that didnt change anything. It does have spark, fuel & compression so I'm just speculating they just aren't at the right time together.
    There was an issue with the early SHO where the flywheel could move so I'm hoping it isn't anything like that.
    Your right Kev, I also don't believe its got anything to do with the recent sprag change at all.
    So tomorrow I'm going to pull the throttle body off and have a look at it. Failing that I'm completely out of ideas & yes good advice I'll go over all the wires and connections again just in case I get lucky with something!
    Any ideas on diagnosing if there has been an issue with the physical timing?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information