SC Wheel install

I pulled off the SC today to install a new wheel. I couldn't believe how easy it came off, but, then I tried pulling the cover and it does not want to come off. The ski has low hours. I tried with a rubber mallet to loosen the cover by hitting the outlet while holding the base. I did not have my heat gun with me, I plan on trying that next. Is the cover typically hard to remove and is there a simple way to loosen it without using a mallet?

+1
    I had to carefully place the SC in a vise and then tap the outlet with the rubber mallet to get it off. You can't hold it tight enough by hand. There is silicone sealant holding the two pieces together from the factory.

+1
    unscrew the bolts but leave them threaded in about 4 turns. Now use a mallet and hit the heads of the bolts. This will pop the cover right off

I tried that, I guess I have to get a little more agressive. I am surprised with such low hours it stuck together with such holding force.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    unscrew the bolts but leave them threaded in about 4 turns. Now use a mallet and hit the heads of the bolts. This will pop the cover right off
    +1 Even better idea.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    This is the best way to do it, at least is how the shop that works on my ski does it but sometimes that silicone sticks so good to the cover that you need to have patience to remove it. Take your time.

I broke the cover free today. The key was putting the SC housing into a vise. I threaded a single bolt in housing and the first tap, the cover broke free. The key was locking it into a vise so it wouldn't move when it was tapped. The shaft bolt came off easy and the new wheel went on easy, I did heat the new wheel before attaching it to the shaft.

I have multiple torque wrenches, but, no full electronic model, I ended up buying a model DTW-2651 ($199.00). There were others that were less money, but, this one had a wide range for a 1/4" drive, it went up to 22 ft-lbs. It seems everything today has aluminum heads, therefore this unit can be use for the plugs, heads are so easy to strip.

Thread Information