Building a home made PWC Test Tank

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever built a home made test tank for Testing PWCs. any ideas? Maybe a large water tank cut in half? A local marina owner thinks I should make one out of a boat hull haha. I was thinkig of welding one up myself and buying sheets of galvinized steel or aluminum. It cannot be that difficult to build a tank

I own a small shop in southwest Michigan and have to drive 10 miles each way to the lake to test skis. I know testing in a tank will never be the same as a true lake test but it will most deffinitly cut down on the amount of trips to the lake and will in return make more profit for the shop and allow me to not have to close shop all the time.

I might be interested in a used one if anyone is selling one for a reasonable price.

Any serious Ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xprider02 View Post
    Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever built a home made test tank for Testing PWCs. any ideas? Maybe a large water tank cut in half? A local marina owner thinks I should make one out of a boat hull haha. I was thinkig of welding one up myself and buying sheets of galvinized steel or aluminum. It cannot be that difficult to build a tank

I own a small shop in southwest Michigan and have to drive 10 miles each way to the lake to test skis. I know testing in a tank will never be the same as a true lake test but it will most deffinitly cut down on the amount of trips to the lake and will in return make more profit for the shop and allow me to not have to close shop all the time.

I might be interested in a used one if anyone is selling one for a reasonable price.

Any serious Ideas?
    we have a test tank, it is 10years old, its alum. its alot of work to keep up, i dont do it personally but see what it entails and if you want to keep it going year after year be prepared. lol

It does help when it comes to tuning, you would have to reduce the venturi nozzle diameter to balance the power so cavi doesnt come out. It actually works quite well. after acouple of runs in the tank and then taken to water you will figure out what works in the tank and what doesnt. I guess what I am saying its all or nothing, its a strong anode alum tank or its a garden hose. A boat hull on a 300HP ski will crack after time, the amount of bracing on the rear of the tank is important. Also a tank impeller to refeed the water thru out the tank is important, a hoist to lift the ski in and out is a must also.

You might be able to redesign the whole concept for ease of use but all in all its a big project...

where did you get your test tank from? did you buy it used? I would deffinitly not buy a new one. any idea of what they go for used? I have heard anywhere from under 1000 on up to a few thousand used and around 10000 New.

as far as building one I would deffinitly never use a boat hull haha but I would consider taking like an old tank from say a fuel storage tank from a gas station or something and cutting it in half then adding braces for support and a pool pump. I have seen this done but I have no idea of the filtration system they used or anything.

when you say a tank impeller do you mean like a pool pump and filter or is there literally an impeller inside of the tank redirecting the flow of the water?

as far as a hoist I would use an electric chain hoist on a beam in my shop with my PWC straps to lift it in the tank

how does the system work in the tank to redirect flow from rear to front? is it a pump or like baffles or something that will naturally cause the water to flow?

does any one have any pictues of the inside of there tank and outside to see how it works?

Thanks

yea that is true. It would be nice to have one though it would deffinitly cut down the amount of times I have to run to the lake. Maybe I should just take the money that would go towards a tank and buy a shop truck that is better on gas then my f 250 that gets 10-13 miles per gallon haha.

Things are about to change...
    +1
    Here ya go. Many already have one of these in their back yard!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert
    +1
    who's got a tank for sale?
    Looking for a slightly bigger one ( big enough for a 2010 RXT)

Old dumpster maybe?

Thread Information