Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Questions on taking 400 mile trip aboard rxt-x 260.

Hey everyone. Well I have started getting some things together for a trip a couple of us are taking this coming summer. Last year I made this 400 mile, 3 day trip from Annapolis, MD (Chesapeake Bay) to Washington, DC (Patomic) aboard my Yamaha SHO Cruiser and it was a blast. We keep a moderate speed of around 40 with the occasional blast here and there. This year, I am going to be making it on my 2010 RXT-X 260. I am def. going to missing all of my storage I had on the yamaha, but I bought this ski for the power and speed. So, to my questions. What do you guys think about making this trip on this ski? Second, have any of you with the RXT-X 260 put cruise on yet. I was looking into getting it put on, but was wondering what you guys thought. Also, have any of you got a cooler setup for this ski or any type of gas can holders? If any of you have any input on this trip on the above items or anything else, I will take all the tips I can. THANKS...

+1
    Most of the people in Hawaii put that big ass boogie board on the back. It is for toe in surfing to pick up rider from the waves. I have also scene them used for gas cans. You might be able to strap a dry bag on there too for clothing.

+1
    Per the Owners manual, you CAN remove the front bucket with no issues! I simply put my fire ext. under the strap on the fuel tank, and use a large water proof bag to store stuff. As long as you strap the storage bag down, so it won't bang around loose, you have a HUGE storage area!!

I have my 4" Kanaflex intake up front, so without the storage bucket, I get even more fresh air to the intake.......

On a trip like that, the "touring mode" is a perfect option. Less sensitive throttle response and will yield better fuel economy. I have found around 35 mph and around 4500 rpm, yields the best fuel long range cruise capability.

I use a soft sided cooler for drinks and food.

Your trip sounds like it would be a LOT of fun!!!!

+1
    There are pics and instructions for building a pvc gas can rack for the back of the ski in a thread. I will search and see what I can find.
    I know Lasportsman and 83gator had a good setup that they used on our guided rides at MB. Pretty sure they had a cooler and a couple 5 gallon gas cans.

+1

pic

pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam and ECU 050.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	224948  

+1

+1
    here the rack i made for my trip to Bimini, Holds two 6.6gal tanks...

I haven't worked out a system for my 2010 RXT X, but I was able to use several bungee cords to solidly hold down a 5 gallon plastic gas container on the rear deck my 2004 SC fro river exploring. Once it was attached, it wouldn't move at all and there was no need for an elaborate PVC basket.

Maybe others have had good success, but I'm concerned that in rough water, the basket might crack or otherwise break, scattering your stuff in the water. Another consideration is weight. Two 5 gallon containers at the very back of the ski puts 100 lbs in a place where it can cause some instability.

If I was going river cruising, I might try and plan a trip on a 5 gallon container bungee'd down and remove the storage bin and install a waterproof bag in it's place, carefully tied down. At 40 mp/h, I think you have a 180 mile range, so you could use the extra gas for reserve. After 4.5 hours of cruising, I'd be ready for a break on land anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by grover432 View Post
    I haven't worked out a system for my 2010 RXT X, but I was able to use several bungee cords to solidly hold down a 5 gallon plastic gas container on the rear deck my 2004 SC fro river exploring. Once it was attached, it wouldn't move at all and there was no need for an elaborate PVC basket.

Maybe others have had good success, but I'm concerned that in rough water, the basket might crack or otherwise break, scattering your stuff in the water. Another consideration is weight. Two 5 gallon containers at the very back of the ski puts 100 lbs in a place where it can cause some instability.

If I was going river cruising, I might try and plan a trip on a 5 gallon container bungee'd down and remove the storage bin and install a waterproof bag in it's place, carefully tied down. At 40 mp/h, I think you have a 180 mile range, so you could use the extra gas for reserve. After 4.5 hours of cruising, I'd be ready for a break on land anyway.
    on mine i have about 60lbs of gear in the front so it evens out. main reason for the basket is to hold everything together, IMO ill deal with the added weight on the back instead of running out of fuel in the middle of know where. PVC is very strong, if it will stay in place with out a rack then i cant see a rack breaking. the rack doesnt support the weight just ties it al together to keep it from sliding around. also you dont "have to" fill the tanks full, just nice to have the option for more fuel.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    here the rack i made for my trip to Bimini, Holds two 6.6gal tanks...

Holy smokes! 13.2 gallons??? Where do you plan on launching from, New York? lol, j/k.

I built a very sturdy rack before my trip. But after several rough water tests, I found that the best way to carry extra fuel was to use two load straps through the handles of two 2.5 gallon tanks. Anymore than that is just too much weight to have bouncing around back there. And strapping the cans together without a fuel rack actually holds up much better, they'll only come loose if you do constant donuts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information