Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Not Sure Who to Believe

Hey all,

I live on the south Chicago burbs...I have a problem. I last used my Waverunner (2008 Yamaha FXHO Cruiser) in October. I always hit the gas a few times to run as much water out as I can. Due to a ridiculous set of circumstances, I didn't get winterized yet. The machine is in my attached garage - usually around 45 degrees, never below that. Things have finally calmed down at home and I called our dealer today to see if I can get in in to be winterized, they tell me now not to even drive it there because it will freeze (I would not even think about doing it unless the temp is above freezing), that I am better off leaving it alone in the garage.

I have always made sure all my maintenance was done...need your thoughts:

1)Take a chance and drive it to the shop to have it winterized or

2)Leave it sit until Spring

This is eating me up...I am not a girl that has any mechanical know how to talk about so I am really nervous about doing anything myself.

I feel like a dumb ass already, I would be sincerely grateful for some help.

Thanks,

Peggy

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Don't feel bad - lots of people don't bother to winterize their stuff. Don't beat yourself up over it.

The first question I would have is - how comfortable are you with doing things yourself? Do you have a gas can? Any tools?

If you do not want to mess with doing any mechanical stuff, I would have you do a couple of simple things that don't take much time, or effort.

1. If you have a gas can, get some fuel conditioner - Brand name is 'Sta-bil'; they have this at Walmart, Autozone, etc.
    2. Figure out how much fuel is left in your tank (a guess is okay); add the correct amount of Stabil through the fuel filler nozzle for the fuel in the tank already.
    3. Buy some fresh fuel, adding the Stabil to the gas can BEFORE you put the fuel in it (this mixes it really good!); add that fuel to your waverunner until your tank is full (or close; no need to spill!)
    4. Open your front storage hood; unhook the seats a little so air can move through the hull and engine area. You can open your drain plugs also, but DO NOT forget they are open next spring! Make a note and put it on the handlebars if you do open your drain plugs.......
    5. IF you have a battery charger, hook it to the terminals under the rear storage bucket. If not, it's worth $25 or $30 to get one to keep your battery charged. A 'battery tender' is a good brand (you can get them all over, even through Amazon.com if you want).

Honestly, if you treat the fuel in the tank, keep the engine compartment ventilated, and keep the battery charged - you will be okay till spring. There are lots of other things you can do, but these are the big three to having your waverunner working for you next year.

And don't let this eat you up.........

Sean

+1
    This stuff makes me glad I live in Florida.
    I agree, as long as you're leaving it inside the garage it's no worries.

Just be thankful you have a garage available;
    some people aren't so lucky...

Hi Peggy,

Great question. Unfortunately I cant help you with it as I never winterize my Skis because I ride them all year. Also we don't get anywhere near that cold where I am
    I think the advise you've received here is spot on & you will be fine.
    It's awesome to see another girl on here. I hope there's more of us somewhere! When I first started Skiing I didn't know where to start and I had some awful dealer experiences. But thanks to Green Hulk & all the generous people on here I now do most things myself (not always successfully I should add). Hopefully you'll start to give it a go too. Have fun on your Ski

+1
    Are you a GIRL????

Well, I'll be damned.

I know a lot of blokes who ride like girls.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Are you a GIRL????

Well, I'll be damned.

you talking about me Gunna lol

you talking about me gunna hahhaaaa

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FZR N View Post
    you talking about me gunna hahhaaaa

+1
    Put some sta-bil in the tank, run it dry for 15secs with some throttle blips to clear out the exhaust, and spray the engine compartment down with some fluid film or silicone protection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Are you a GIRL????

Well, I'll be damned.

Mandy would hand me my ass around a race track!

Mandy would hand me my ass around a track!

Banned User
    +1
    Peggy, I live in Crest Hill, right down the street from you. The temp is suppose to spike to almost 50 degrees by Friday. I'd be more than happy to come over and winterize your ski, make your winter a little more comfortable

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information