brisk spark plugs

hi guys, blouted with all this food, looking at some new plugs for the new year, running bpr8es on the genesis, seen some brisk plugs seem to last for ever, no setting, and increased power.and 360 spark. plug replacement brisk lor12lgs. any of you guys tryed these, please feedback cheers. good new year to all

You won't gain anything by using anything other than the cheapo NGK plugs. Any of the "multi spark, split fire, multi electrode" type plugs don't do anything except waste your money. The most you will gain from plugs is to clip gap them and index them to the exhaust side.

+1
    Stick with the NGK plugs. I have a neighbor that needed to replace plugs in his SLT750 while on vacation. The local auto parts store listed a plug that cross referenced to the NGK and was slightly hotter. My neighbor, being a car guy thought "Great, a hotter plug means it will run better!".

Oops. About the 2nd day running on those plugs he melted the center cylinder These engines run absolutely fine with the OEM spec NGK plug. Now, if you start messing with engine mods then yes, toying with plugs may be necessary. But for a stock engine, the stock plug works perfectly fine.

KJ

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Look interesting, but $36 for a set of plugs is crazy!!!!

I'm thinking the fine wire (iridium or platinum) might help in preventing plug fouling, but that's about all.

Not a Polaris owner, but I have used the Brisk plugs...
    ok heres what I know about the Brisk plugs from a boosted truck point of view, running 14#'s of boost in a 2002 Harley F150. Throttle response was much better, idle was much smoother, gas mileage improved about 1 mpg and there was a little more low end grunt off the line. My tune was fat (rich) to avoid melting the electrodes. I ran these plugs for a year and when I pulled them out they still looked good, all of the electrodes were still intact and serviceable (I could have put them back in and kept right on going). I chose not to in order to add additional boost and have since going back to NGK's not wanting to drop $98.00 on a set of plugs each time I swap plugs or risk having one of these plugs come apart.

Now some of my buddies who run a little leaner tune and higher boost and higher A/F's, they were frying these plugs and causing all kind of headaches...electrodes literally exploding and melting down in their cyclinders... ceramic+metal in cylinder = not good.

I do believe these plugs do what they say they will do under the proper conditions. My advice, if you are not using them in a boosted application, give them a shot. If you are using them in a boosted application, fatten up your tune, lower your A/F's and retard the timing just a bit but be aware that it could come apart. No matter what you buy, stay in the correct heat range. And if you go back to NGK's make sure you gap them correctly.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 8upwitHDs View Post
    ...I have used the Brisk plugs...

...Throttle response was much better, idle was much smoother, gas mileage improved about 1 mpg and there was a little more low end grunt off the line. My tune was fat (rich) to avoid melting the electrodes...

...My advice, if you are not using them in a boosted application, give them a shot...
    My take on this would be that the 'regular' spark plugs were not firing reliably, for some reason.

I find your warning for the Brisk plugs with boosted engines interesting as the Brisk testimonials include a number of boosted engines. I think this says much about the unreliability of product testimonials.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut
    You won't gain anything by using anything other than the cheapo NGK plugs. Any of the "multi spark, split fire, multi electrode" type plugs don't do anything except waste your money.

The most you will gain from plugs is to clip gap them and index them to the exhaust side.
    +1

All a spark plug needs to do is ignite the fuel+air mixture. Once that happens, the spark plug's job is done. The flame front rapidly moves away from the tip of the spark plug once ignition has begun.

The ignition system fires an electric pulse into the ignition coil. The voltage pulse instantly arrives at the spark plug tip. From there it jumps the gap to the ground electrode, and the heat from the arcing electric current ignites the fuel+air mixture.

The spark plug, regardless of design, does not affect the ignition timing of the spark pulse. It does not affect the air to fuel ratio in the cylinder, nor does it affect the air or fuel density in the cylinder. The spark plug does not affect the temperature inside the cylinder, other than the heat range of the spark plug affecting the temperature profile of the spark plug tip itself.

If changing a spark plug results in an improvement, then the previous spark plug was not working properly. It was not reliably firing the mixture in the cylinder, or it was not sparking properly, or the heat range was wrong.

If the specified spark plug for our engines is currently providing a reliable cylinder ignition on every power stroke, then changing the spark plug design (or just changing to fresh spark plugs) shouldn't improve things.

If you see an improvement from changing spark plugs, I would look at it as an indication of a deficiency with the old spark plugs, not a testimonial to the new ones.

It is interesting only if you take an already properly running engine, which is not missing or mis-firing at any RPM and/or under load, and then find a gain from changing spark plugs.

The Brisk web site seems to list some pseudo-scientific verbiage and unquantified claims, but not much substance. The Dyno results page shows only partial test data and non-rigorous testing methods. The charts text show that more dyno runs occurred than are graphed. That implies that some runs were omitted, possibly because they showed enough run-to-run variation to obscure the claimed gains.

In conclusion every Brisk plug that we tested gained a minimum of 3.5whp and 5.3ft/lb of torque and in some cases gained up to a 24.1whp and 12.8ft/lb of torque...
    This conclusion at the end is simply misleading, conflating maximum reported gains (on two different engines) with minimums.

A different spark plug can only improve the situation if the previous spark plug wasn't doing its job properly.

Keith - Well said

All of these "latest and greatest" plugs are just snake oil. Sure platinum and iridium plugs have their place (IMO, its biggest benefit is high service life in a daily driver auto).

Any boosted V6/V8 setup I've ever run, I used NGK TR6 plugs w/ a .035" gap. $2.25ea. and they worked flawlessly.

well ill stay with the ngk. and use the money on beer.

well im a Keith

+1
    I've spoke about this on a Dodge forum too. I ran a 93 Mustang GT to 10.56 in the quarter with a blower and I used Motorcraft spark plugs (although a few heat ranges cooler) that cost $1.89 each. I'm with Keith. I'm not saying "go cheap", I'm saying there is very little to gain with plugs unless the previous ones were toast.

Thread Information