Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 Virage no spark

I have a 2002 Virage with the single carb.Both fuses good and the breaker is good. I have 11.1 volts on the battery while cranking. I have done all the Stator checks the resistances between the wires and between ground all check out, the green wire and the red wire have small amount of ohms (105) when using the 9 volt battery and turning the crank by hand, I have 8 volts on the brown stator wire during cranking, I have removed the yellow and black wire and cranked, I tried to run the bilge and crank, but the ski would not crank with the bilge button held. I think that I need a CDI. The CDI that I have has red potting with the with the serial port. What is the part number for the CDI on a 2002 virage?
    How do I check the coil? There are two black wires that attach to the coil pack as well as the two spark plug wires.
    One other check I just read about was to disconnect the grey wire to the CDI, I will try that tomorrow.
    Thanks...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepatter View Post
    I have a 2002 Virage with the single carb.

...I tried to run the bilge and crank, but the ski would not crank with the bilge button held...
    Well THAT is not correct.

Sounds like a grounding problem. Figure out what is wrong with the bilge pump circuit. Make sure the bilge pump is getting a full 12 volts and is well grounded when you are holding the bilge button in.

Get the bilge working correctly before you continue to diagnose the no-spark problem. A weak or broken ground connection can kill spark. The bilge button preventing crank suggests you have a ground problem somewhere.

Check grounds both within the electrical box and the actual engine ground connections - all of them.

I checked the grounds in the box and the one on the left rear of the engine. Is there another ground on the engine? The engine WILL turn over after engaging the bilge if the lanyard is NOT in, but still will not ingage if the Lanyard is in and you press the bilge button first. I forgot to check the voltage at the pump I will do that next time I am at the ski. But the pump does run when the bilge is pressed.
    Also a side note, when I put the battery in after having it out for a few months, the hours went from like 30 to 553.5 hours. I have read this is not that big of a deal and it may go back to normal after the ski is run a bit. What do you think? Is any solid black wire in the ski a ground wire? There are some black wires under the steering column, should I be checking those. Thanks.

+1
    I checked the grounds in the box and the one on the left rear of the engine.
    How did you check them?
    The best method is to disconnect the battery, then actually remove and clean each ground connection.

Use your multi-meter to confirm zero ohms between the heavy battery ground cable (with the battery positive post disconnected) and every other ground point in the electrical system. No ground point should measure more than a fraction of 1 ohm back to the battery negative post.

Is there another ground on the engine?
    The main (and only) ground for the entire electrical box is the Black wire in the cable bundle that runs to the magneto stator. The stator Black wire grounds to the engine through the stator mounting bolts (underneath/behind the flywheel).

The engine WILL turn over after engaging the bilge if the lanyard is NOT in, but still will not engage if the Lanyard is in and you press the bilge button first.

I forgot to check the voltage at the pump I will do that next time I am at the ski. But the pump does run when the bilge is pressed.

Also a side note, when I put the battery in after having it out for a few months, the hours went from like 30 to 553.5 hours. I have read this is not that big of a deal and it may go back to normal after the ski is run a bit...
    The MFI hour count will not revert to the previous number. Sometimes the hour counter will run even though the engine is off. Often this is associated with a dodgy electrical system or weak battery during storage.

Is any solid black wire in the ski a ground wire?
    Yes.

There are some black wires under the steering column, should I be checking those?...
    The steering column wires ground through the electrical box, and from there to the engine via the stator ground wire.
    Once you have thoroughly confirmed that every ground is indeed properly grounded, let us know what the results are.

Checked engine block grounds, the two grounds that attach to the Start/Stop module and the ground coming into the electronics box from the stator harness that also attaches to the Start/Stop module aluminum block with the two mounting screws. All the grounds back to the Negative cable on the battery they all came up .3 Ohms.

+1
    ...All the grounds back to the Negative cable on the battery they all came up .3 Ohms.
    Hmmm - next thing I suppose is the LR-505 Start/Stop module.

Bypassing the LR-505 Start/Stop module (test lanyard out crank, lanyard in no-crank)

With the LR-505 module bypassed, test whether the engine now starts correctly regardless of whether the Bilge button is held down or not held down. Note that the only way to stop the engine is with the lanyard, since the Start/Stop module has been by-passed.

hi,
    which wire is the "non-LR" Black/White wire and when you say "move it to the Black terminal" do you mean the grounding block on the start/stop module? Thanks...

+1
    ...which wire is the "non-LR" Black/White wire and when you say "move it to the Black terminal" do you mean the grounding block on the start/stop module?...
    There are only two Black/White wires. One is attached to the LR module, and should be disconnected along with all the other LR module wires..

The other Black/White wire is separate from the LR module. Move THAT Black/White wire to the Black (ground) terminal on the terminal board (or wherever all the other Black wires are grouped together). This change allows the Start button to still crank the engine, despite the Start/Stop module being disconnected.

Thanks I try it when I can.

Bypassed start/stop module...I still got nothing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information