Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got '01 GP1200R, flat water?

New here. Been reading alot of stuff on here about what to do right away with this model used ski. D-plate, resister, and pump seal. I live on a river system that runs to a larger lake. Most of the time the water is pretty flat, but can reach 1-2 feet on the lake side. I don't have too much of a budget for parts right away. So I would love suggestions on what I should do first. This machine will be plenty fast enough for now. I just want to make it dependable and durable, so I can just jump on and go! I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to the forum!
    I would get familiar with the Yamaha Two Stroke section of the forum. Specifically the "How-To" and Performance" Stickies. There is a ton of information over the Yamaha GPR platform.
    Things I would do first, is do a compression check and get a baseline/reading of your motor. How many hours are on it?
    Remove the stock intake grate. Install an aftermarket intake grate for safety. I would also seal the pump shoe, reinforce the pump tunnel and install wave-eater powervalve clips. If you have the original oil injection, inspect your oil lines and check for any leaks. some members have gone to pre-mix for their lubrication.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk..

Thanks for the welcome! I understand sealing the pump shoe, but how do I reinforce the pump tunnel and what are wave-eater power valve clips? I've been riding for a while, but I want to take really good care of this one! My first ride was a '91/'92 (I think) sea doo HX! VERY tippy, but did about 62-65.

+1

First would be the waveaters for the powervalves, then an R&D intake grate. A Jims rideplate will give you an easy 3-4mph. If you're going to add power, reinforce the tunnel first.

reinforce tunnel?

I've heard of that, but why? Did they not make the tunnel strong enough? Also how would you go about doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneO View Post
    I've heard of that, but why? Did they not make the tunnel strong enough? Also how would you go about doing that?
    the hull was good enough basically for the stock output. as people were modding and getting more speeds out of these hulls it created more stress on the pump/transom/tunnel /grate area`s. compounded by weakening inserts...

read up, there is plenty of info here... go thru some of the build threads to get a visual on these mods...

Thank you! i appreciate all info you guys put one here! Any more suggestions keep 'em coming!

how many hours on this ski?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information