Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Looking for some info on Swapping Carbs from an 1100 Zxi to a 900 Zxi

Looking for some info on ZXI Carb Swap
    Does anyone have a nice write up on what carbs are able to be swapped from an 1100 to a 900 zxi? I am looking for something that will tell me what to do and how to do it to go smoothly for me and also to help future riders.

I am currently working with a 96 Zxi 900 having a stalling problem when I hit the throttle from idle. I've done almost everything I can without taking it to a professional. I hear the 1100 carbs get rid of this.

Thank you.

+1
    I really can't answer your specific question, but stalling would typically indicate that it's not getting enough fuel. Could be the fuel filter, or internal filter in the carbs, or could just be trash inside the carbs. I've owned a ZXi 900, as well as a ZXi 1100, and both ran very well. The later 1100s had the CV carbs, so know what you're getting.

I'd suggest that you get yours fixed.

The problem is I've rebuilt the carbs, I've adjusted the pop off, I've done this and that and no problem resolve. I've read of guys on here putting on the 1100 carbs becasue it has an additional jet to help stalling. After all the reading it seems it is a common upgrade but I can't find anyone to supply exact swap information.

I know the pop-off can be a bit tricky on the 1100. I know I had hell getting my right last year. What is yours set at? You want it at about 12-15psi. A good tip I was taught for this ski with this carb is the springs should be cut where the needle arms sits perfectly horizontal. I had the exact same problem you are describing. It had a new motor, rebuilt carbs, new fuel lines the whole 9 yards. Once I got the pop-off set perfectly and the hi/low needles turned correctly the problem went away. If you are absolutely sure the pop-off is correct I would make sure the hi/lows are tuned right. You could be running to lean. I always like to run a tad big richer then stock and trim back from there. Least that way you know you are not likely to have failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    I know the pop-off can be a bit tricky on the 1100. I know I had hell getting my right last year. What is yours set at? You want it at about 12-15psi. A good tip I was taught for this ski with this carb is the springs should be cut where the needle arms sits perfectly horizontal. I had the exact same problem you are describing. It had a new motor, rebuilt carbs, new fuel lines the whole 9 yards. Once I got the pop-off set perfectly and the hi/low needles turned correctly the problem went away. If you are absolutely sure the pop-off is correct I would make sure the hi/lows are tuned right. You could be running to lean. I always like to run a tad big richer then stock and trim back from there. Least that way you know you are not likely to have failure.
    I'm working with a 96 900 zxi. Not 1100. What I've read is to set he Pop off about 28 which they are correct but still has a problem stalling on the water.

They are pretty much the same carb so the above will work for the 900 as well. What are your hi/lo jets set at? My experience is 28 is still too high for this ski.

+1
    The later 1100s had the CV carbs.

hi/lo are set at stock settings +/- 1 turn or so. I went all the way one way and all the way the other way and it ran best(still with the stalling issue) at the stock settings. I guess I will take a look at the pop off again and maybe go lower. I know I have a few springs I can try and cut if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    The later 1100s had the CV carbs.
    This is true but he has a the non-CV carbs since it is only a 900.

Quote Originally Posted by chvscks319 View Post
    hi/lo are set at stock settings +/- 1 turn or so. I went all the way one way and all the way the other way and it ran best(still with the stalling issue) at the stock settings. I guess I will take a look at the pop off again and maybe go lower. I know I have a few springs I can try and cut if I have to.
    Only thing you can waste is time and a few bucks on springs if you it comes to that but it is worth it in the end. How much are you opening the jets up as in turns? If you are going more then 2-3 turns that is to much and it isn't changing much past that point. If it ran better when you opened them up more then that tells me your pop-off could be a little off still. I can't remember which one it is in if it is the hot products or the WSM catalog but they have the spring sizes. The springs in these carb kits are junk so if you used the one out of one of those I would get rid of it and if you still have them put the springs that were in there back in. Those really don't need to be replaced anyways when you do the rebuild.

If memory serves me right on the 900 since I have that one as well for my daughter I think the stock settings are 1 turn out on both hi/lo. If you have your manual give it a look and it will tell you. If not I can dig mine out and look to confirm. I know your frustration though as I spent all last spring going through the same problem and it took me some time to get it dialed in just right. When it is set just right you will know a night and day difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information