Unhappy Gp800 what I need to look for?

Hey fellas kinda new
    To all of this but I'm looking to buy a gp800 from craigslist and I was wondering what I need to look or check for before making the purchase the guy said it only needs a battery on it so I'm planning on buying a battery and taking it with me and see if it starts... Now if it starts does this mean everything is good? Lol sorry this is my first pwc and I have no idea what to look for so any ideas , suggestion will help me and what do I need to bring over there? Something about checking the compression? How the hell do I do that?

Thanks in advance!!
    Mark

+1
    you need to check the cylinder compression. an engine can still start with a damage cylinder. you want to check out as much as u can

ask them what maintenance has been preformed in the past. if you buy it you want to install wave eater clips on the power valves.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    run a compression test

How do I run a compression test on site? And what does the compression need to be at?! And what are wave eater clips? Where
    Do I get em and how much are they?

Thanks again!!

+1
    go to parts store and get a gauge the compression for a 66e or 800 should be 120 per cylinder or around that if they read a little more or less thats fine you dont want to see like 80 or something like that.. disconnect the spark plug cables pull one plug at a time and hook up the gauge to each cylinder hold it at full throttle and crank and watch the gauge

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    The most important part is that the compression numbers are almost the same. Like 120/115 is ok but not 120/60

Thanks fellas!!! I'm gonna do this thing on Wednesday what is the wave eater
    Clips everyone is talking about is it hard to install? And what does it do? And where to get it? Lol

Thanks!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trac3 View Post
    Thanks fellas!!! I'm gonna do this thing on Wednesday what is the wave eater
    Clips everyone is talking about is it hard to install? And what does it do? And where to get it? Lol

Thanks!!

99 GP800 didn't have powervalves, so don't worry about that. Go the auto parts store and buy a compression tester (or borrow one if you can) bring along a fresh fully charged battery and go from there. Be carefully because usually when they say "it just needs a battery" it's a cover up for a much larger problem. But if it has good compression and runs well it should be a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    99 GP800 didn't have powervalves, so don't worry about that. Go the auto parts store and buy a compression tester (or borrow one if you can) bring along a fresh fully charged battery and go from there. Be carefully because usually when they say "it just needs a battery" it's a cover up for a much larger problem. But if it has good compression and runs well it should be a good buy.
    I am pretty sure they did come with a powervalve setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AquaGuy View Post
    The only 800 produced by yamaha was the 66e. All 66e engines were powervalve engines and were used from 1998-2005 ( 98-00gp and 2001-2005 gpr). sorry but you are wrong.

Thread Information