Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SAE Fuel Hose

+1

SAE Fuel Hose

I'm rebuilding the fuel pump assembly in my Virage i and am trying to find a replacement hose from the fuel pump to the barb fitting inside the tank.
    I've looked everywhere for 1/4" SAE 30r10 hose. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Thanks
    Happy New Years

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you are looking for Marine rated hose, then a boat supply place should carry it. You don't need fuel injection 'high pressure' rated hose.

Marine rated fuel line, that is compatible with Ethanol, is preferred
    USCG TYPE B1 SAE J1527 NMMA TYPE ACCEPTED (ISO 7840)
    J1527 A1 is also acceptable, and the A1 hose has a fire resistant outer coating
    SAE J1527 Type B2 (and A2) is for fuel tank vent hoses only, do not use B2/A2 for fuel lines unless it is also B1/A1 rated.
    From what I can tell, the current version of these marine fuel hose ratings is for up to E10 (Gasoline with up to 10% Ethanol blend)

+1
    I'm looking for the type that's submersible in gasoline (SAE 30R10) for inside the tank on a Virage i from the pump which is 5/16" to the brass fitting which is 1/4" I tried 5/16" but i can't get a good seal on the 1/4" fitting. Gates hose makes 5/16" and 3/8" but no 1/4".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnynpr View Post
    I'm looking for the type that's submersible in gasoline (SAE 30R10) for inside the tank on a Virage i from the pump which is 5/16" to the brass fitting which is 1/4"...
    This will be my first post for 2011

This is for the electric fuel pump on a Ficht fuel system - correct?

I have never looked closely at the two fittings for that short section of fuel line inside the fuel pump module. I didn't know they were different sizes

Why does the hose need to be changed?

+1
    Yes, unfortunately they are at least on a 2002 virage i 800.

It looks like when they make the hose one end is enlarged to fit 5/16" at the pump. The hose was cracked so I cut and tried enlarging mine by heating a 5/16" drill bit and inserting it into the hose which worked perfect, but the hose is about 1" too short now. I already have the 5/16" gates hose so I'm thinking of using a 5/16" to 1/4" brass adapter. Hopefully the extra weight pulling down on the 1/4" fitting won't pull it out. I may pull the fitting out and do the cotter pin repair you explain in your how to repair the fuel pressure regulator.

Also I used 1993 Chrysler Town and Country fuel pump it fit nicely.

Thanks for the honor of being you first post of 2011.
    Hope you and all your family and friends have a great new year.

+1
    ... 2002 Virage i 800.

It looks like when they make the hose one end is enlarged to fit 5/16" at the pump. The hose was cracked so I cut and tried enlarging mine by heating a 5/16" drill bit and inserting it into the hose which worked perfect, but the hose is about 1" too short now.

I already have the 5/16" gates hose so I'm thinking of using a 5/16" to 1/4" brass adapter. Hopefully the extra weight pulling down on the 1/4" fitting won't pull it out.

I may pull the fitting out and do the cotter pin repair you explain in your how to repair the fuel pressure regulator.
    No need to pull the fitting out. Careful drilling through the plastic alongside the metal collar should do the trick. Not much room for error with the drilling - get it right the first time

Also I used 1993 Chrysler Town and Country fuel pump it fit nicely...
    What was the part number for that fuel pump?

Any photos of the part?

Be sure to check the fuel pressure after you get it all re-installed. Make sure you have 23ish PSI with the pump running, and closer to 30PSI when you clamp off the fuel return hose.

+1
    Airtex E7029M
    $125.00 at rock auto.

It's the complete assembly. I only used the pump motor.
    No pictures right now. I already put it in, but I'm going to take it back out. It looks like I may be able to use the fuel output assembly to replace the original 1/4" one. I'll take some pictures than.

+1
    Just got around to pulling the fuel pump today. Here are some pictures.

The pump, filters and fuel fittings are the same as the polaris. One thing that I found is that the fuel fitting assembly has a quick connect that adapts the
    1/4" hose connection to 5/16" so I replaced the original fuel fitting assembly with the new one. Which solved my adapter problem. Hopefully I'll be putting the pump back in tomorrow and try it. I will post fuel pressure readings then.

If anyones interested the numbers on the fuel pump housing are
    1352A 982
    It's a Carter pump. I haven't tried yet, but maybe the pump could be purchased separately to save some money, although for 125.00 you get new filters and a pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.jpg 
Views:	39750 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	225746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010014.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	225747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010021.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	225748   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	225749  

+1
    ...The pump, filters and fuel fittings are the same as the Polaris.

One thing that I found is that the fuel fitting assembly has a quick connect that adapts the 1/4" hose connection to 5/16" so I replaced the original fuel fitting assembly with the new one. Which solved my adapter problem.

Hopefully I'll be putting the pump back in tomorrow and try it. I will post fuel pressure readings then.

...the numbers on the fuel pump housing are
    1352A 982
    It's a Carter pump. I haven't tried yet, but maybe the pump could be purchased separately ...
    So you swapped in the entire new hose connection fitting into the top of the Polaris pump unit - correct? What happened to the quick disconnect fitting that Polaris had for the fuel tank vent hose?

+1
    Yes, the new hose connection fitting is exactly the same as the polaris except for the quick disconnect on the inside of the tank and the vent disconnect also fits on the new hose connection fitting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	225772  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information