Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Washers & Dryers

I want some opinions on the newer versions of washers and dryers the front loaders! I have been a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports and have had great luck with taking there advice but after reading the reviews on the Sears website about there #1 recommended Sears washer (4027) Iam in doubt of there findings! So what do you have, how long have you had them and most important is would you buy them again?
    I have a Sears Kenmore toploader washer and front loader dryer now that is 10 years old with no problems at all (knock on wood) that the wife thinks we need to replace with this new technology but I say why replace something that isnt broke

+1
    Your exactly right..If it isnt broke,dont fix it...We have a whirlpool setup like you have..had the repair man come out last year to replace the igniter in the dryer and he said not to mess with the new style they will not last half as long as what we have..He told me that if we ever decide to get rid of them to call him that he will take them for himself..

+1
    I bought my wife the LG Front Loaders 5 years ago. They have performed flawlessly. We have 3 girls (lots of towels) and this thing, (no joke) runs atleast twice a day minimum every day. The only issue we had with it was back earlier this year, we accidentally bought regular soap vs HE (high efficiency) soap, and we had a foam over. No biggie, there was a vent on the back of the washer that allows for this to happen. We though we had a water leak, but figured out after the repair guy came over (warranty) and asked to see what soap we had. Well, we were shocked when we found out we bought the wrong soap (same label), but didn't have the HE on it.
    sO, to make a long story short, they have been good to us, use very little water and the spin cycle spins so fast that once it is finished in the washer, there is not much moisture left from the spin that the dryer does not run long.
    There were other brands out there we looked at at the time, but this one we chose because it had the sanitary cycle, easy to use for the kids and we got a discount on the pedestals for the storage.

On a side note, we have Maytag traditional top loaders at both of our rent homes and they have performed flawlessly as well. One nice thing about the traditional top loaders, they are easy to work on if something needed fixin.

sorry I don`t have real input as we are still using Sears kenmore washers. the last pair worked for better than 10 years with only fixing a plastic lid switch. we left those appliances with the house when we moved. When we moved here we have Frigidaire, and went thru 2 washers back to back, they are junk...
    we have replaced the frigidaire with a kenmore 800 series Top Loader HD washer that we have been washing 3 loads per day for 5 years without any issues... it is a bit squeeky, but it is also made cheaper than the last set... I would have expected more for 600.00, but it`s still running...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    I have a Sears Kenmore toploader washer and front loader dryer now that is 10 years old with no problems at all (knock on wood) that the wife thinks we need to replace with this new technology but I say why replace something that isnt broke
    Exactly; tell her to get back to the laundry room and leave the thinking to you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Exactly; tell her to get back to the laundry room and leave the thinking to you.
    LMAO

we love our front loaders as well lot less water for drainfield have to say great so far 6 years.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seadoolover View Post
    we love our front loaders as well lot less water for drainfield have to say great so far 6 years.
    What brand are they?

lg tromm dont know much about manufature they were 1500 at time if you get one keep rubber ring that seals washer door clean on the rear or turns mold, and bad smell. only thing really learned just use shit out them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    I want some opinions on the newer versions of washers and dryers the front loaders!

I have been a long time subscriber to Consumer Reports ... I am in doubt of their findings!

I have a Sears Kenmore toploader washer and front loader dryer now that is 10 years old with no problems at all..
    Consumer Reports isn't what they used to be. I often find their reports now lacking depth and substance. And often the recommendations now seem weak or poorly thought through.

The best made top loading washing machines can last an awfully long time. If you are waiting for it to wear out before replacing it, you might be waiting a long time

The front loading machines can be well made, but it seems that many of the brands/models on the market are not built for long service lifetimes.

We have a pair of domestic made Kenmore HE3t front loaders (washer + dryer) made in 2001. Just last week I had to replace the pump motor because it wasn't draining. Did some online research and found that pump failures are common, and the problem spans many models and years. Replaced the pump for under $200 (I did the labor) and it is again working well.

However, while doing the online research I discovered that many of these machines have a built-in failure. The stainless steel drum is supported by a three armed 'spider' which then rides in a big bearing, and the entire assembly sits inside a plastic tub, where the water is.

Apparently there is no galvanic isolation or sacrificial anode protection for the aluminum spider arms where they are bolted to the SS drum. Over time the three arms corrode. The corrosion eats away at the arms until eventually one or more arms fracture. At this point the drum now bangs against the surrounding tub enclosure, especially during the spin cycle. Soon enough the tub springs a leak.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information