Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sand Blasting Cases

So i took my 951 cases to get the outsides blasted so i can repaint them, but heres my issue. The guy blasted the whole case after i said to just do the outside.

Will this effect the crank or is it fine. its bascially just dulled down the shiny machined surface where the crank and seals go

Cheers guys

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    IMO,......i dont think you could ever get the cases,seals to seal air tight?..i think he ruined them.

Yea thats what i was thinking GRRRHHH the guy charged a s$%y load to do it too! maybe i can use some sealant around the seals?

+1
    The guy should of put tin folio tape on the bearing rides or you should have. When they powder coat parts that how they do it. I don't think you can re machine it and put some shims in there. Good luck> Someone might know what to do On this site. Sorry

It will be fine; don't worry about it. However, you DO know that you NEVER use Loctite 515/518 for sealing cases, right? (the service manuals prior to 2001 say to use this for sealing cases; SeaDoo wised up in 2001...)
    Use Threebond 1211 or something equivalent, and you will be fine. Also use it on the sealing surface of the center and end crank seals, where the seals mount to the cases.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    It will be fine; don't worry about it. However, you DO know that you NEVER use Loctite 515/518 for sealing cases, right? (the service manuals prior to 2001 say to use this for sealing cases; SeaDoo wised up in 2001...)
    Use Threebond 1211 or something equivalent, and you will be fine. Also use it on the sealing surface of the center and end crank seals.
    X 2 they will be fine

+1
    I would bolt the cases together with out crank and see if cases are warped ( look at mating surface each side of where crank pass thru if you see light or gap case are NG

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I would bolt the cases together with out crank and see if cases are warped ( look at mating surface each side of where crank pass thru if you see light or gap case are NG
    Not true. Threebond 1211 will fill gaps that you can see thru. But I doubt it that the guy took off too much material cause major gaps anyway, not enough to worry about.

BTW, on the case half mating surface, it is actually BETTER if the surface has some tooth to it. It will hold the modern silicone sealants better.

+1
    sealing is not the point,if crank not held tight it will beat the case out

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Not true. Threebond 1211 will fill gaps that you can see thru. But I doubt it that the guy took off too much material cause major gaps anyway, not enough to worry about.

BTW, on the case half mating surface, it is actually BETTER if the surface has some tooth to it. It will hold the modern silicone sealants better.
    I agree....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information