Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why remove the oil pump?

I may get slammed here, but what would happen if you just leave the OEM oiling system in place, and use Premix. Just drain the oil from the tank, and bypass the low oil warning?

Quote Originally Posted by agood1 View Post
    I may get slammed here, but what would happen if you just leave the OEM oiling system in place, and use Premix. Just drain the oil from the tank, and bypass the low oil warning?
    more than likely lock up. the oil flowing thru the pump also acts like its lubricant., enough to have the coupler tear off and cause havoc inside the cover or shear off the bolts holding it in place...

this has been covered before and not recommended.

+1
    Agreed... And why risk it? It's 14$ in parts with priceless piece of mind knowing its done rite. Half assing these ski's is a guarentee to be expensive.

The pump is pretty difficult to get to. Requires taking out the front part of the exhaust at the bare minimum. Just wondering if there was a less labor intensive way to get the same result.

The pump is pretty difficult to get to. Requires taking out the front part of the exhaust at the bare minimum. Just wondering if there was a less labor intensive way to get the same result.
    remove the stinger and reach around under the u-pipe...don`t get lazy on us!...lol...

It would require the complete exhaust removal, and to get the whole exhaust out of the boat, you have to remove the head. Then the air box would have to come off as it is surrounding the oil pump. So there is allot involved. This is a 99 1200xlt.

gotcha, your first post didn`t say what ski... soooo get the wrenches out and go for it...

Now the cost goes up, once you add the gaskets required, so it is not a simple $14 repair.

What if I just use premix and keep the oil injection.

Now the cost goes up, once you add the gaskets required, so it is not a simple $14 repair.

What if I just use premix and keep the oil injection.
    with all that has been said already, it is your ski, do what you feel is the best solution for you. is this the same 1200xlt that you are rebuilding the engine in earlier posts? you could have removed all of that while the engine was out...

is this the exhaust from your ski?
    no doubt it does cost $$$ to maintain, repair, and ride these ski`s...

Yes, that is the exhaust from my ski. I am not sure I want to remove the oil injection.....just trying to get ideas.

Is there any way to test the oil injection to make sure it works? I have premix in the tank now since, but don't want to add more gas until I know the injection is working.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information