Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Alternate Battery Question

What are my most economic options?

A ride got ended quick yesterday due to a dead batter... we couldn't even jump it off of mine. As I like to do extended travel, what it the most economic solution? I'm considering a lawnmower battery, but will that work, or cause any electrical/electronic issues?

Obviously, I'm not excited about spending $130. on another OEM battery to take along for a ride.

Any other ideas?

+1
    I got a sealed one from Advance late this summer for like $110. Same size as oem. Seems to be good battery. I cant remember the part number, but when I get home I will look it up.

+1
    advance auto

MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Batteries for Power Sports Applications
    Part No. ETX30LA

use coupon code. BIG40 to receive $40 off !! I have one on my ski works nice

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ADAMBOMB View Post
    advance auto

MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Batteries for Power Sports Applications
    Part No. ETX30LA

use coupon code. BIG40 to receive $40 off !! I have one on my ski works nice
    THATS THE ONE. lol

But I did not know about the coupon when I got mine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    THATS THE ONE. lol

But I did not know about the coupon when I got mine.
    return it and order it again. its still under warranty

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    What are my most economic options?

A ride got ended quick yesterday due to a dead battery... we couldn't even jump it off of mine. As I like to do extended travel, what it the most economic solution? ..
    Are you looking for cheap, or long term reliable?

A factory sealed AGM type battery from a reputable brand will be reliable and last for years. It will never be the cheapest battery on the market.

A top shelf AGM battery like the Odyssey brand will last for multiple years, and provide excellent starting and reserve power along with reliability. Divide the cost of a very good AGM battery over several years and the price per year is very reasonable.

+1
    Hmm, guess I worded it wrong on the first post... My OEM battery is fine, replaced them last year on both my skis. No problems there... But, what if your battery, that you think is fine, craps out on you in the middle of no where, say it's so dead that you can't even jump start it. What would you do then?

I'm asking because that very thing happened to me and a fellow rider this weekend... we stopped to take a break and his bike never started again.

I ended up towing him to an alternate launch (8 miles of towing), but I wonder if one of us would have had a backup, cheapy battery, we could have kept on riding. Mind you, I don't need this for scooting around the camp, but our rides together have expanded to 150 plus miles in a day.

I just hate how the simple things can end a great trip...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    ... My OEM battery is fine, replaced them last year on both my skis. No problems there...

what if your battery, that you think is fine, craps out on you in the middle of no where... What would you do then?

I'm asking because that very thing happened to me and a fellow rider this weekend... we stopped to take a break and his bike never started again...
    A high quality battery, especially a sealed AGM, is unlikely to fail.

Was the failed battery an AGM type, or regular lead-acid type? How old was that battery?

There are any number of parts in a PWC that can make it suddenly un-usable. If the battery is well chosen and properly installed it is much less of a failure risk than some of the other parts.

Reliability is a statistical thing. You have to go with the odds. Traditional lead-acid batteries are less reliable, especially as they age, than the rugged glass-mat AGM batteries.

If you are going to carry a heavy AGM battery as a spare, what else are you also going to carry in case something else fails?

A spare battery would have to be mounted as solidly as the primary battery. If it is not connected into the electrical system to keep it charged, then checking and maintaining the charge in the spare battery becomes another regular maintenance item to attend to.

I would say the spare battery would almost have to be a sealed AGM type, since you want the low self-discharge and ruggedness of AGM, and the inability to leak acid even if the battery is damaged. If the spare battery is going to be AGM, then the main battery might as well be also.

A better approach might be to buy a second AGM battery and give it to your riding buddy to install in his PWC. Then both PWC will have reliable batteries.

+1
    K,

Thanks for the beta... I was thinking that toting a "spare" battery was prob. impractical, it's just that I hate being up the creek w/o the paddle... Yeah, there's no end to spare parts, is there?

I wonder why the damn thing would not jump start off of my battery? I guess it was too low...

Thanks again, guys.

+1
    Heyya B--
    Robin's 2 yr old stock battery crapped out off shore last season. Always started fine that day-- ran fine-- she stopped and *poof*. Wouldn't jump either. It was so dead that the display didn't show. Same story-- long tow. I figure some of the plates shorted while she was bouncing around on the waves. At least someone had jumper cables to try with.

We talked about getting a spare battery-- with all the folks we ride with someone else is bound to have a problem. But as others notes-- no easy place to store it without a serious mount installed. We bought two Oddessy batteries. We'll see how the bayous like them -- see y'all this summer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information