What should I do for a 130hr 2-stroke service ?

I have a '97 GSX that has about 130 hours on it and have only ever given it it's usual service - spark plugs, pump oil replacement, wear ring.

I want to give it a bit of an overhaul (without spending too much money or doing a full rebuild!), to get some of the acceleration and speed back, but also to ensure it stays reliable.

I am thinking of doing the following:

• New wear ring
    • Jet pump rebuild
    • Replace the old oem grey fuel lines (which have degraded and blocked up my carbys)
    • Carby rebuild and re-jet
    • Possibly a new impeller
    • New heavy-duty rectifier (getting the old '12 Volt Low' warning again)
    I know some may say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I want to prevent anything going wrong due to wear and tear.

Can anyone suggest other parts that I should consider replacing/cleaning that may help performance and reliability?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the forum! You are on the right track. I would only replace the impeller if it is damaged. you may just want to check the pitch on the prop and maybe give it a little bend on the trailing edge. If you are going to rejet you might as well delete the air box and get a set of flame arrestors. you will get much better throttle response. Have you pulled the rave valves yet? they get gummed up pretty bad with carbon. give them a good cleaning and the slots in the cylinders too. a high compression head will also help your throttle response. after that I would leave it alone. when you start adding pipes and carbs your changing your whole ski to a tuner and trust me....it aint fun to ride anymore. keep it simple and ride instead of wrench.

Hi airbornexp,

Thanks for your advice,

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    I would only replace the impeller if it is damaged. you may just want to check the pitch on the prop and maybe give it a little bend on the trailing edge.
    What classifies as a 'damaged' impeller? Is it just worn/chipped/bent edges? Anything else i need to look out for?

Also, what is an ideal pitch i should try and achieve?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yes, damage are things that you describer, a stock GSX impeller is pitched either to 17/24 or a 16/23. those machins came with two impellers that year

Thread Information