ZXI100 coolong help please

Hello People

I am very new to this sport .

During the winter I brought a 1996 ZXI 1100 , I have been out on it a hand full of times this summer and noticed the water tell tail on the right front of the ski is not a constant flow spitting a bit , by the end of a day of playing around the water out of the tell tail is quite hot ( I pointed it up so i could see it and got a face full of hot water ).

Today I went through the ski checking the water in filter and a few fittings and hoses and found nothing to be worried about .

I started it up and ran it on the hose for a few min and notice cylinder one (front) was hot and two and three were cold !!

To me that is not good , maybe water not getting to the front cylinder ??

Besides this the ski starts and runs well and is heaps of fun to ride

what do you think , any ideas welcome

Cheers
    Vaughan

+1
    I owned that same ski for a awhile the water that comes out the pisser will definitely get hot to the touch. The only time the water wouldn't be a constant stream was when the ski was at and idle.

Also I'm pretty sure if I remeber correctly the left warning light is a temp guage. If you know the sensor is working and the ski is running fine I would say your fine.

Thanks for your reply raider.

thats good to know that the pisser water gets hot , it had me worried.

I know the over heat warning works as I has some weed stuck in it a couple of weeks ago and the light came on and it would not let me rev it very high.

Still cant understand why the front cyclinder was so hot .

I'll take it for a run tomorrow and see what the temps like .

Cheers

Vaughan

+1
    When running on the hose, the cylinders should be surprisingly cold. You may have a plugged cooling water passage in the head or cylinder water jacket.

Make sure your 'Ski has a 'bowl' mounted to the bottom front of the hull! There was a recall requiring this to be done because the 'Ski could beome unstable at high speed in glassy water, resulting in the boat simply flipping over. Not much fun at 60 MPH! The bowl is about 10 inches diameter and sticks out about 3 inches, if I remember correctly.

+1
    I know when riding it get hot. When on cold rides I would warm my feet with it lol.

+1
    Yes, it will get quite warm when you're riding it. But when it's on the hose, you're not creating any significant amount of power, so the water doesn't get hot.

Thanks guys for your comments

I pulled the head and exhaust off it and cleaned it all out , there was a little but of sand in it but not enough to worrie about .

It has made a differance to the pisser it's not spitting and there is more flow , so the little but of sand must of been enough.

Do people run sand traps in ski's like they do in jet boats ???

Steve45 said about the factory recall for the hull . Has anyone got a pic of it , I cant seem to find one , and not sure if mine has been done .

Cheers

Vaughan

+1
    The recall you will be able to tell if it was done. At the bottom of the hull there will be a piece molded on the bottom of the hull.

+1
    Yes, you can add a strainer. I run one in my Ultra and in my Yamaha boat. I haven't taken the time to put them in my other 'Skis, but I'll probably put one in the STX.

I'd recommend the Groco. Some of the small ones won't withstand the pressure. In any case, a ruptured strainer can ruin your day by flooding the boat. Carry a barbed-type hose splice and basic tools to splice your cooling lines together if the strainer fails.

The mod to the ZXi looks like somebody glued a bowl on the bottom front of the hull. If you have it, you can't miss it.

Thread Information