Anyone had exhaust hoses fail on 04 XP DI???

I have recently replaced (with expensive genuine) the rubber pieces of exhaust hose at each end of straight metal pipe (that runs down the inside of the hull past the tank) of my second hand 2004 XP DI. To my horror the new rear section has again deteriorated and is leaking exhaust into the hull, HELP!!!

Is it not getting enough water in the wet exhaust to keep it cool, or is this just a design fault with this model and should I go to metal braided hoses or something similar???
    Last edited by pearl/oz; 01-07-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Wrong year, should be 04 not 97

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you need to pull of the water lines for the pipe and get some pipe cleaners and clean the jets. you are not getting enough water to the pipe.

Thanks for that, have removed and cleaned out jet as it WAS partially clogged. Before replacing melted coupler do you think it is worth replacing regulator as well? How much water should be coming out of exhaust when hooked up to a garden hose??

+1
    there should be a significant amount of water coming out. when your running the hose you started the motor then turned the water on? if not please do it in that order from now on. if not you can hydro-lock the motor. and im mot sure how big of a PIA it is in a DI to correct it. are you talking about the regulator on the waterbox? probably not, just clean that jet too. make sure that you are getting full stream (no pun intended) out of the pissers on the back of the ski

Yer was thinking about the regulator on the waterbox. Full stream was coming out of the pissers on the back, but guess I will have to wait till I replace melted coupler before I can see how much is coming out of exhaust.

+1
    when you run the hose you need to follow these rules.. engine on, water on...water off, engine off. if you run the water without the engine on you can have water in the cylinders and that will then fill the crank case with water and it will be a long time before it will start again till you get the water out. Im not sure how a DI will act when this happens but it cant be good.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I never did like those valves. I replaced mine with a jetworks control valve and i never had a problem, also it's alot cheaper than a new rave WR.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    I never did like those valves. I replaced mine with a jetworks control valve and i never had a problem, also it's alot cheaper than a new rave WR.
    That valve does more than a jetworks valve and will effect the performance and stop it from melting hoses. It helps with midrange punch and keeps enough water flowing at high speed to keep things cool. It works and only uses one nipple on the pipe no solenoid to get both midrange and top end

Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    That valve does more than a jetworks valve and will effect the performance and stop it from melting hoses. It helps with midrange punch and keeps enough water flowing at high speed to keep things cool. It works and only uses one nipple on the pipe no solenoid to get both midrange and top end
    A+

Thread Information