Question msx 150 hard starting only sometimes!?!?!

Hi guys,

Im having a really odd issue with my msx 150. When I take it to the lake straight of the trailer in the water it starts fine, first go. In between rides if it sits for 10-15 mins then gets started again it has no issues but if it sits for longer, say an hour or more when I try to start it it cranks over very slowly and basically I have to hold my finger on the start button for up to 30 seconds to get the engine to fire into life!

Any suggestions where to start looking at this? The plugs are about 20 hrs old (new last summer) and the battery was new last summer as well and is fully charged.

At the moment the weather is fairly hot here so im wondering if heat soak is an issue somewhere in the system?

Thanks
    Hinchi

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinchi View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm having a really odd issue with my msx 150. When I take it to the lake straight of the trailer in the water it starts fine, first go. In between rides if it sits for 10-15 mins then gets started again it has no issues but if it sits for longer, say an hour or more when I try to start it it cranks over very slowly and basically I have to hold my finger on the start button for up to 30 seconds to get the engine to fire into life!

Any suggestions where to start looking at this? The plugs are about 20 hrs old (new last summer) and the battery was new last summer as well and is fully charged.

At the moment the weather is fairly hot here so im wondering if heat soak is an issue somewhere in the system?

Thanks
    Hinchi
    Slow cranking usually means something in the basic engine cranking system. I would be looking at the battery, battery cable connections (including engine ground and heavy red cables all the way to the starter). Also the start solenoid.

Remove and clean every heavy cable connection between the battery, engine block, and starter. Make sure you really have clean and solid metal-to-metal contact at every connection - zero corrosion.

If you can, measure the battery voltage while it cranks slowly. In your case you can warm it up by riding around, then bring it back to the trailer (but keep the trailer and jet pump lowered into the water). That way you can do your diagnostics while standing beside the ski on the trailer, rather than bobbing around on the water trying to do tests. If you properly strap the ski to the trailer (front AND rear), you can safely run the engine while on the trailer in the water. Just make sure the jet pump intake is fully submerged.

If the battery voltage stays above 10.6 volts while cranking (especially during the 'slow' cranking), then the battery is not the problem.

That brings you to either the starter itself, or the jet pump. A binding jet pump can slow the engine cranking, but that doesn't seem to fit your description of the problem.

So clean and check the entire starter motor circuit (heavy cables). If the problem still happens, check voltage on each side of the solenoid while cranking. Should be the same voltage during cranking (between 10.6 and 11.x volts, typically).

If solenoid is delivering solid battery voltage to the starter, then the starter itself is the next place to focus.

Thread Information