+1

Head gasket blown?? and why????

Hey all, got a 2007 rxt with mods. It had a engine rebuild due to 2dropped valves at 109hrs, the head was fully machined new valves etc. Now 31hrs later i am emptying the coolant bottle every ride and down the front of the block it is looking green so i suspect it has done the head gasket.
    2 questions: Q1, do i have to re machine the head and block? was told i should and do a block test for cracking??
    Q2, what causes the head gasket to blow? as i was told that they don't just blow,more than likely have some cooling problems??
    The ski isn't heavily modded but after the last rebuild $$$$$$ later, i thought i would have been good for more than 31hrs!!! Any advice?
    Cheers bradsta..

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    gotta get it open to see...but usually at least resurface the head....

some believe in a block guard..some dont ..i run one..oem gaskets seem to still be best..and some swear buy riva/arp head studs some swear buy oem streach bolts...that is up to you but if you go riva read the thread a few below this one...on torque specs..i went to 92 andretorqued and have been fine since..

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136532

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsta View Post
    Hey all, got a 2007 rxt with mods. It had a engine rebuild due to 2dropped valves at 109hrs, the head was fully machined new valves etc. Now 31hrs later i am emptying the coolant bottle every ride and down the front of the block it is looking green so i suspect it has done the head gasket.
    2 questions: Q1, do i have to re machine the head and block? was told i should and do a block test for cracking??
    Q2, what causes the head gasket to blow? as i was told that they don't just blow,more than likely have some cooling problems??
    The ski isn't heavily modded but after the last rebuild $$$$$$ later, i thought i would have been good for more than 31hrs!!! Any advice?
    Cheers bradsta..
    No Hi Temp alarms yet??

Was the block and head machined with a grinder or carbide tool . The reason i ask is if it was done with a grinder head it can have run off and run on which slightly chamfers the the end of whatever you are machining and takes a good operator to understand when the job is done properly . Head gaskets usually leak nearer the middle from overheating worping or bolt stretch from hi boost or compression or both . It is odd for it to leak at the end of the head as this is where it has the most tension

+1
    Most people who have blown head gaskets was because of running more boost. But like hellman said it is usually near the middle. You may have other problems. You need to get it apart to see.

Thread Information