Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation eBay Buyers Beware

Ever wonder what a fake eBay ad looks like? Click on the links below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-SEA-DOO-RXP...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sea-Doo-RXP-Supe...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...49241858QQrdZ1

Want to know how to decipher?

> First of all notice the asking price is only $2800/$2900 in all three ads. This is typical.

> In all ads the seller is requesting that you contact him directly bypassing eBay.

> 2 skis for $2800? Sounds great huh? Well, "If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is". Don't fall for it.

> Seller looks like a reputable one right. That's because the fraudster cloned the real seller's web page. In other words he manipulated the info to work to his advantage.

These ads are representative of what we investigators call the "Nigerian 419 Scam" and believe me it goes well beyond these few ads.

Visit http://www.lookstoogoodtobetrue.com to read more on this and other fraud trends.

Surf Safe!
    Last edited by Flynfox; 11-08-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Bro I wish I could slap the **** out of people like this....These people make ebay look bad to the ignorant buyers who are to ignorant or stupid to notice these things....

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    Bro I wish I could slap the **** out of people like this....These people make ebay look bad to the ignorant buyers who are to ignorant or stupid to notice these things....
    Ditto GeoRXT.

What's worse is I have to explain to victims that I can't help. These crimes often originate outside of the US and the investigating agencies, USSS & FBI, do not have jurisdiction.

Arrow

The links are no longer available because eBay removed them, probably because the true eBay user reported the unauthorized post.

+1
    I put the full blame for ads such as this on e bays shoulders. They realize the ads are fraudulent, and remove them, but often not until someone gets burned. E bay is only interested in the almighty dollar and not in protecting the rights of bidders. There should be a system to weed out these scams before they make it on line.

Richard

What's kind of strange is most of those ads are using a photo of the ski my friend bought early this year. Kind of un-usual that they are using that photo. It is an red/grey RXT parked at an angle in front of a garage.
    Last edited by darrel; 11-09-2006 at 10:10 AM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    What's kind of strange is most of those ads are using a photo of the ski my friend bought early this year. Kind of un-usual that they are using that photo. It is an red/grey RXT parked at an angle in front of a garage.
    "That's because the fraudster cloned the real seller's web page. In other words he manipulated the info to work to his advantage".

Like I said in my initial post. This is what they do. If you pay attention to the eBay listings you will notice that the same seller is selling multiple skis at one time and all are registered in a different state.

Do a search every day on new eBay listings and you will see these pop up daily.

+1
    Flynfox, good thread, people need to be warned.
    I love E-Bay and get a lot of good deals on there, but it really makes you wonder why they don't control this trash better...

www.bluraycomics1.com bluraycomics's Avatar
    ebay will pull the fraudulent listings out but some times take longer then others. If you see one on there it helps to report the listings to ebay to exedite their actions against the frauds. Craigslist is really bad about this too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information