94' Polaris stumbles

Hi, Newb here. And I dont know much about these things. I build some racing BBC engines and have the tools & general knowedge so I think with you guys help I can take care of my Polaris.
    My kids ride it most of the time. I will just get on it and make a lap or two from time to time to check it out.
    The ski has always ran great, but last summer the thing started to die when the kids would try to take off from an idle while they were pulling a kneebord behind. I took it for a spin and its like it is missing on one cylinder till you get on plane then it picks it up and runs good . But it does it every time you take off. And pulling the choke momentarily doesnt help. I put new plugs in and checked the filters & seperator and found no problem. What ever it is, it must not be going lean as the kids had been ridding it that way for quite a while without telling me and it hasnt hurt anything. I checked the compression and it is 125psi across all three.And the things starts easy.
    I know from reading the site that I need to add a new three oulet fuel pump. And the fuel lines are black so they must have been changed out. I will cut the plug wires back a 1/4" also.
    Do I need to pull the carbs and rebiuld? Were do I get the kits?
    Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Which model do you have?

John Zigler would be a good place to order the genuine Mikuni carb rebuild kits and the Fuji three outlet fuel pump.

Click on my signature links to find him in the list of Part Sources.

Regarding your problem description, rebuilding the carbs would be an excellent first step.

Since your 1994 Polaris is now seventeen years old, it is worthwhile going through the entire machine to identify anything else that might need attention.

The fuel lines inside the fuel tank are known to degrade over time. The fuel filler neck and cap can develop cracks, as can the retaining ring on the top of the fuel tank.

You can find more tips in the Fuji section from my signature links.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk

Which model do you have?

John Zigler would be a good place to order the genuine Mikuni carb rebuild kits and the Fuji three outlet fuel pump.

Click on my signature links to find him in the list of Part Sources.

Regarding your problem description, rebuilding the carbs would be an excellent first step.

Since your 1994 Polaris is now seventeen years old, it is worthwhile going through the entire machine to identify anything else that might need attention.

The fuel lines inside the fuel tank are known to degrade over time. The fuel filler neck and cap can develop cracks, as can the retaining ring on the top of the fuel tank.

You can find more tips in the Fuji section from my signature links.
    Thanks man, I contacted John, he's a very helpful person and I will be rebuilding the carbs and fuel system with parts I get through him. I appreciate the help and may have other questions when i get into this project.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk Hass.

You've been pointed in the right direction thus far.

Clipping the wires back should help, but also make sure the ground wires connections are clean and tight.

Also make sure you have the plastic between the elec box and the battery to prevent any issues.

Pay close attention to the carb settings before and after you rebuild them. (making sure 1 of the kids didn't mess with them without your knowledge)

Do yoursefd a favor and search for piston wash, and compare a good wash pattern to yours. That'll tell you if you're running the risk of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk Hass.

You've been pointed in the right direction thus far.

Clipping the wires back should help, but also make sure the ground wires connections are clean and tight.

Also make sure you have the plastic between the elec box and the battery to prevent any issues.

Pay close attention to the carb settings before and after you rebuild them. (making sure 1 of the kids didn't mess with them without your knowledge)

Do yoursefd a favor and search for piston wash, and compare a good wash pattern to yours. That'll tell you if you're running the risk of failure.
    I'll check out the piston wash thanks.

Thread Information