Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

High oil pressure on a GTX 4 TEC 155 HP

Can any body tell me why I am getting high oil pressure 92psi at 4000rpm I have inspected the releve valve all looks ok. I have also looked at the oil cooler there is no blockage. Please advize

+1
    Is the oil hot or cold when you measure this?
    If the engine oil is cold they normally run to 100-105psi untill the oil heats up.

Hi yes the oil was hot. The shop manual said the pressure should be 23psi at idle (hot) and 43psi at 4000rpm(hot)

+1
    welcome to the forum

+1
    Are you having issues with alarms going off

Having the alarm going off so I fitted a new oil pressure sender did the same thing. I then fitted the pressure gauge and gave me a reading of 92psi at 4000rpm (hot) and at idle 42pis (hot) the shop manual said it should be 20 psi at idle and 42 psi at 4000rpm (hot) I have taken the motor out and checked the pressure valve on the bottom of the motor that looks ok. I have also taken off the sump casing to see if the bearings have turned on the crank but that all looks ok.

+1
    i believe there are 2 oil pressure sensors....they are notorious for going bad on the older 4 tecs

do not overtighten the cap that retains the pressure regulator. even if the regulator cage/piston/springs look good, it could still bind. check for burrs inside the bore?
    by the time the 155 came out, I think they cured the sensor issues...
    depending on hours, just change out the regulator... just a thought...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    do not overtighten the cap that retains the pressure regulator. even if the regulator cage/piston/springs look good, it could still bind. check for burrs inside the bore?
    by the time the 155 came out, I think they cured the sensor issues...
    depending on hours, just change out the regulator... just a thought...
    +1. I had the exact same issues, changed sensors, etc, still high pressure, still alarms. Pulled out the regulator parts ... very slight scoring, seemed to work OK, but I replaced the spring, sleeve and piston ... totally resolved issue. Cheap to do, and first thing to rule out IMO. There are very few ways to get oil pressure TOO HIGH ... definitely replace the pressure regulator parts ... if that does not resolve it, you may have a bigger problem, as in a blockage somewhere in the motor. Rule out the simple cheap stuff first ... the regulator IS the culprit most often with your symptoms.

Have you verified that your TOPS system works well too? When key is put in, you should hear the TOPS valve click/move, and you should also hear the same sound about 30 seconds after removing the key as well.

+1
    [QUOTE=Vern;1618265OK, but I replaced the spring, sleeve and piston ... totally resolved issue. Cheap to do, and first thing to rule out IMO. There are very few ways to get oil pressure TOO HIGH ... definitely replace the pressure regulator parts Rule out the simple cheap stuff first ... the regulator IS the culprit most often with your symptoms.
    [/QUOTE]

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information