+1

FZR for Island Hopping? (Another FZR vs SHO Thread!)

Hey Guys -

I sold my FX HO and I am in the market for an SHO! I am mostly an island hopper / cruiser. Depending on the weekend, I ride in calm bays or the choppier Gulf of Mexico. I occasionally have a 2nd rider with me.

I found a great deal on an FZR with the FZS seat conversion. The ski is priced well under market value. My dilema is deciding if it is the right ski for me.

For one, they do not have the rear storage the SHO provides. I like to carry towels, drinks and food with me. Weighing down the front storage is never a good idea, so that leaves me with Jetpack saddlebags as the only other option.

Secondly, I am concerned it is not as stable in chop as the SHO. The bucking issue scares me a bit as well.

I want to make the right choice, but it is had to walk away from this deal. What are your opinions?

+1
    I for one love my FZR for island hoping. I Live in Trinidad and the chop here sometimes is unbelievable and when I race SHO's through the chop there is no noticeable difference. Two things I would recommend, the second not neccesary. An intake grate and a BOV. Once you have those two things fitted to your FZ you have one of the fastest most reliable stock ski's available. So if you get a good deal on a FZ take it and you'll be able to pass SHO's in the calm and still be able to keep up with them in the rough.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey R. View Post
    For one, they do not have the rear storage the SHO provides. I like to carry towels, drinks and food with me. Weigh down the front storage is never a good idea, so that leaves me with Jetpack saddlebags as the only other option.
    I don't think towels and food are going to weigh down the front all that much. Keep in mind the FZ's have an adjustable trim feature that can raise the bow when desired. My FZ's do have a small storage container in the back with a nifty screw on top; maybe big enough for 3 or 4 canned drinks and some ice in there.

2010 FZS = 21.3 Gallons of Total Storage including glove box
    2010 SHO = 26 Gallons of Total Storage including glove box

Secondly, I am concerned it is not as stable in chop as the SHO.
    This is not a valid concern; both of them are very stable PWC.

The bucking issue scares me a bit as well.
    This is a valid concern. In my opinion you should NOT ride the FZ models with the stock grate. However you can get the R&D grate and it solves the problem nicely.

All this aside, I think you would be happy with either the SHO or the FZ. It's kinda funny; actually my FZ's have SHO on the side, so I think maybe they are technically both SHO's (?) but they do have some obvious major differences. Anyway, good luck with your purchase.

+1
    If your island hopping (open ocean), you should be riding the Kawasaki Ultra's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    I don't think towels and food are going to weigh down the front all that much. Keep in mind the FZ's have an adjustable trim feature that can raise the bow when desired. My FZ's do have a small storage container in the back with a nifty screw on top; maybe big enough for 3 or 4 canned drinks and some ice in there.

2010 FZS = 21.3 Gallons of Total Storage including glove box
    2010 SHO = 26 Gallons of Total Storage including glove box
    It is also worth noting that putting anything heavy (such as an anchor) in the front compartment will cause it to bounce around and possibly break anything in its way. The SHO has the advantage here because the rear storage compartment is big enough to hold something like an anchor but small enough to stop it from bouncing around too much.

I only have a drybag (which is secured to the inside of the front compartment with velcro) with essential goods in the front compartment.

+1
    Thanks for the input guys.

On a side note, I feel like I need to vent.

I'm having a tough time finding a used ski that fits what I am looking for. I'm looking for a low hour ski preferably with a warranty still in place.

I am having a tough time finding an 08-09 for less than 9k. You can go to a dealer and get a new one for 10-11k. I do not think a used supercharged jet ski should command these types of asking prices. That is if you can even get the seller on the phone or respond to emails. Dealing with individual sellers can be frustrating. I feel like I cannot get anyone to take my money!

+1
    I am having a tough time finding an 08-09 for less than 9k. You can go to a dealer and get a new one for 10-11k.
    Yep, that's why many of us choose dusty dealer hold-backs with a full warranty. The peace of mind in knowing a teenager didn't trash the ski is worth far more than the $1,000 difference in price.

I do not think a used supercharged jet ski should command these types of asking prices.
    Try buying a new RXT-X, you'll find out how good a value the Yammies are. Yes, $10K is costly; I agree; but how else are you going to move 0-60 in 5 seconds on the water, and at what cost? Try that on a boat. You can always go with an older ski, but I wouldn't own one without a warranty, esp. the SC models. And I certainly wouldn't want a freaking Ultra.

I feel like I cannot get anyone to take my money!
    Jump on PWC trader online. It's actually a great time to buy with the cold weather and sucky economy. If that doesn't help let me know and I'll send you an address to send me your money and you can rest easy.

Mate I have just recently gone from a Fx to Fz. IN my opinion Fx is a much better ski. I ride in channels and ocean. I cant really think one area where the Fz is better but for a couple of mph on top. Fx is better in the rough, steers better, better 2 up. Fz looks awesome though.

+1
    Thanks for your replys. I know this topic gets beaten into the ground.

I ended up picking up an 08 SHO with 4 years left on the warranty Yesterday in South Florida.

Already figuring out what I can mod without voiding my waranty.

So far my list is:

Intake
    Exhaust
    Grate
    Rideplate
    pump seal
    Ribbon delete
    BOV
    boost gauge.

I think that pretty much covers stage I...

+1
    You need to repitch or buy a prop unless u wanna be on the limiter and be giving up top end speed.

Thread Information