Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange bearing beside the PTO

Hi

Yesterday I pulled my driveshaft because I am in processing by making my own shaft seal setup.

I have always noticed the rubber bellow on the PTO but just thought it was there to make sure dirt and things like that didnīt went in there. I found out that there is a bearring inside this bellow. I have even replaced a driveshaft before without notice a bearring in this bellow

Can anyone tell me what this bearring is doing ? Canīt see any reason to put in a bearring there ? I could see that there were two o-rings inside the bearring but I would deffently think that the oil seal in the pto cover is enought to keep the oil inside the pto ?

Looking forward yours answers
    and sorry for my english but Iīm from europe

Just shooted some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1010.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	226207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	226208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	226209  

+1
    I'm not 100% sure what that bearing does, but I can tell you when I rebuilt my 05 RXT, I forgot to put a clamp back in place where your thumb is in the #3 pic. This resulted in puking oil in the bilge, and a huge problem. It was probably the hardest troubleshoot I've done. Hope this helps.

Pauly C.

+1
    The bearing is the oil seal for the PTO..

But there is no oil inside my bellow ? it seems like my oilseal in the pto cover is enought to keep the oil inside ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    The bearing is the oil seal for the PTO..
    +1. That seal is critical, keeps oil in the engine. When you reinstall the rubber boot, clean it thoroughly first, use proper size (width clamps), clean the outside of the bearing very well, and make sure the bearing is fully seated in the boot and clamped well. I like to squirt a little window cleaner on the boot to make sure it all slides together correctly and stays in place. Once the boot and bearing are back together and on the motor and clamped correctly, put a little oil INSIDE the bearing on the o-rings so the driveshaft can slide back in without damaging the o-rings. Make sure you have put all the carbon seal/metal collar stuff over the driveshaft before inserting it into the bearing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    +1. When you reinstall the rubber boot, clean it thoroughly first, use proper size (width clamps), clean the outside of the bearing very well, and make sure the bearing is fully seated in the boot and clamped well.
    +1 Vern and Steve..

+1..When i put mine back together i put a thin bead of Right Stuff silicone around the outside bearing surface that slides into the boot..This will help in the future in aiding in holding the bearing into the boot if you ever have to pull the driveshaft out..

Okay I will remember that. But I will go with my own custom made shaft seal. With two needle bearings and oil inside. I will press a hardened bushing on the shaft. I will post some pic of the unit as soon it is finish.

+1
    Dont confuse this PTO seal with the Drive shaft carbon seal..They are completely different..You Need this seal to keep the oil in the engine..The reason there is a bearing in there is because oil O rings cannot hold up to the heat and RPMs that the driveshaft spins..thats why there is a bearing inserted into the boot...Just for the record there isnt very many failures with this system unless you dont put it back together correctly..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Dont confuse this PTO seal with the Drive shaft carbon seal..They are completely different..You Need this seal to keep the oil in the engine..The reason there is a bearing in there is because oil O rings cannot hold up to the heat and RPMs that the driveshaft spins..thats why there is a bearing inserted into the boot...Just for the record there isnt very many failures with this system unless you dont put it back together correctly..
    +1. If you want to reinvent the wheel anywhere on your ski, this is not one that needs reinventing ... it works well actually, if everything is clean and clamped right, failures are extremely rare. If you want to reinvent something, the carbon seal arrangement would be a far better place to mess around ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information