Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

how do you measure the steering nozzle for neutral from the pump?

Hi, I've used the Riva drop nozzle for a year,adjusting the harness from the inside in the front(2 nuts) keeping it about "one up" according to the handling... now I just put a Leo wedge on ,so now the trim and steering cable Name:  pump angle.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  4.0 KBhave to be lengthen and now want the steering nozzle in neutral for better performance now that the 5* pump has even more angle...what would be "neutral?Name:  leo wedge.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  4.4 KB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Hi, I've used the Riva drop nozzle for a year,adjusting the harness from the inside in the front(2 nuts) keeping it about "one up" according to the handling... now I just put a Leo wedge on ,so now the trim and steering cable Name:  pump angle.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  4.0 KBhave to be lengthen and now want the steering nozzle in neutral for better performance now that the 5* pump has even more angle...what would be "neutral?Name:  leo wedge.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  4.4 KB
    Dave, gimme a call 775-315-0222

Dave, with the drop nozzle kit you should always keep the steering nozzle vertically even with the exit nozzle, follow me?

stick a tape measure into the nozzle until you touch the exit nozzle edge, keep adjusting the cable at either end, ( I set mine up so there is sufficient cable at each end) until your top to bottom measurements are equal...

when I first put the nozzle on and tried to replicate the "one notch up" setting, the thrust coming out of the nozzle would cause slack in my lever cable, bc the thrust is forcing the steering nozzle to the most neutral position...

+1
    [QUOTE=Pale Rider;1618256]
    stick a tape measure into the nozzle until you touch the exit nozzle edge, keep adjusting the cable at either end, ( I set mine up so there is sufficient cable at each end) until your top to bottom measurements are equal...

QUOTE]

yup ^

+1
    Thanks everyone for there input and myphone conversation with ww....ill get rhe pump back on the ski and go from there as soon as the weather breaks...

+1
    I just installed Leo's wedge and was a simple task.
    I was going to buy a micrometer with depth guage, but I didnt want to spend the $30 - $40, so for now I bought a $2 ruler/depth guage at Northern Tools, similar to Harbor Freight. Here is what I am talking about. 6" Stainless Steel Pocket Ruler The end goes to the nozzle and the T goes to the end of the steering nozzle. This will allow you to measure from the nozzle to the end of the steering nozzle. Adjust until BOTH your trim and steering are centered. Remember when setting the trim, put it in neutral and while measuring the top pull the steering nozzle itself upward and when measuring the bottom pull the steering nozzle down. Just because there is a little play. Doing this will make sure it is centered. Hope this made sense. If not let me know. One more thing, be sure that the veins are lined up and there is no lip from the pump to the nozzle. Leo's directions show what I am talking about. Once you are done be ready for a 1 - 1.5 MPH gain as stated!

Here are a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06943.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	226450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06942.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	226451  

+1

finding neutral

[QUOTE=Gus13letter;1619157]I just installed Leo's wedge and was a simple task.
    I was going to buy a micrometer with depth guage, but I didnt want to spend the $30 - $40, so for now I bought a $2 ruler/depth guage at Northern Tools, similar to Harbor Freight. Here is what I am talking about. 6" Stainless Steel Pocket Ruler The end goes to the nozzle and the T goes to the end of the steering nozzle. This will allow you to measure from the nozzle to the end of the steering nozzle. Adjust until BOTH your trim and steering are centered. Remember when setting the trim, put it in neutral and while measuring the top pull the steering nozzle itself upward and when measuring the bottom pull the steering nozzle down. Just because there is a little play. Doing this will make sure it is centered. Hope this made sense. If not let me know. One more thing, be sure that the veins are lined up and there is no lip from the pump to the nozzle. Leo's directions show what I am talking about. Once you are done be ready for a 1 - 1.5 MPH gain as stated

thanks for the reply... extending the trim and steering,grinding the pump more for rideplate clearance and vanes lining up are no biggie...but you see there is no "set neutral" with the Riva drop nozzle like you have with the stock 5 position quick trim system...the drop nozzle is 2 settings and its up to you to adjust the nuts on the black harness in the bow and determine your two settings...usally neutral for most riding and one down where you stay hooked up in choppier waters and CC racing....but I have it figured out, thanks...just waiting to for the snow to go away...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    thanks for the reply... extending the trim and steering,grinding the pump more for rideplate clearance and vanes lining up are no biggie...but you see there is no "set neutral" with the Riva drop nozzle like you have with the stock 5 position quick trim system...the drop nozzle is 2 settings and its up to you to adjust the nuts on the black harness in the bow and determine your two settings...usally neutral for most riding and one down where you stay hooked up in choppier waters and CC racing....but I have it figured out, thanks...just waiting to for the snow to go away...
    Ahh, I see. If you liked the way the ski handled without the wedge, what if you measure how your drop nozzle is without the wedge, then after installing the wedge you adjust it to the same measurement?

[QUOTE=jetdave56;1619276]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I just installed Leo's wedge and was a simple task.
    I was going to buy a micrometer with depth guage, but I didnt want to spend the $30 - $40, so for now I bought a $2 ruler/depth guage at Northern Tools, similar to Harbor Freight. Here is what I am talking about. 6" Stainless Steel Pocket Ruler The end goes to the nozzle and the T goes to the end of the steering nozzle. This will allow you to measure from the nozzle to the end of the steering nozzle. Adjust until BOTH your trim and steering are centered. Remember when setting the trim, put it in neutral and while measuring the top pull the steering nozzle itself upward and when measuring the bottom pull the steering nozzle down. Just because there is a little play. Doing this will make sure it is centered. Hope this made sense. If not let me know. One more thing, be sure that the veins are lined up and there is no lip from the pump to the nozzle. Leo's directions show what I am talking about. Once you are done be ready for a 1 - 1.5 MPH gain as stated

I find that the Riva Lever kit is best set with the cable adjuster screwed all the way in at the lever and make your adjustment for full pull at the front spring loaded retractor. Fine tune the adjustment with the cable at both ends.
    If there is any bow up position the jet thrust will force the nozzle down. It is best to set the nozzle for neutral, then there will be no play in the cable at the lever, Capiche?
    also you don`t want the spring loaded retractor screwed in to deep to allow the rubber boot on the cable to rub the cable wheel. to far out and you`ll bottom out and have to much tension on the cable, it has to be just so...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information