Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Sho Plug question

I am changing out my plugs on my 08 SHO and noticed that it called for a ? #527? loctite for the bolts holding the plug wires on. Is this really necessary and/or can I substitute for another loctite? Thanks as I don't know if I can locate this loctite today and really wanted to get this done and out on the lake. Thanks!

I don't think I have used anything but torque on sparkplugs in any motor in my life.
    Interested in seeing what others might say.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    I don't think I have used anything but torque on sparkplugs in any motor in my life.
    Interested in seeing what others might say.
    he is talking about the coils i think
    and i don't bother to locktight them as i check them often enough that i would spot them coming loose
    beter go and check them now that i have writen that

kev

+1
    A splash of any threadlock will do if you have to use any,but just dont use as much as yamaha uses damn they coat the bolts in it

+1
    Thanks, the coil bolts were actually very easy to take out. I did tighten them good but will keep an eye on them. Easy plug removal/replace though. Thanks for the quick response. We have 72 degree temps today and wanted to get out on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    he is talking about the coils i think
    and i don't bother to locktight them as i check them often enough that i would spot them coming loose
    beter go and check them now that i have writen that

kev
    Never used anything there either. That coil would have to work pretty hard to get off the plug and out of the hole particularly with a seat interfering. Not saying don't do it, I just would not be that concerned with this.Other far more important things - like beer, Jack and women.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    Never used anything there either. That coil would have to work pretty hard to get off the plug and out of the hole particularly with a seat interfering. Not saying don't do it, I just would not be that concerned with this.Other far more important things - like beer, Jack and women.

+1
    Loctite 572 is a thread sealer & light locking compound. It is an acrylic paste that drys to a rubber like consistency & is different to the red or blue threadlock.
    I have always used it on my HO, but like the others have said, as long as the bolts are torqued up correctly, I can't really see them coming undone.

Interesting to read this. I watched the mechanic do the 10 hour service on my SHO. He used a small amount of waterproof grease on the spark plug threads and bolts holding the coils and then torqued them down. He has said that based on his experience here in AUS of mostly salt water riding, he has seen too many plugs corroded into the cyliner head and were unable to be removed without taking the head off the engine.

I will keep an eye on the bolts as well, but his method certainly made sense to me as far as being able to reduce salt water corrosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HO Pilot View Post
    Interesting to read this. I watched the mechanic do the 10 hour service on my SHO. He used a small amount of waterproof grease on the spark plug threads and bolts holding the coils and then torqued them down. He has said that based on his experience here in AUS of mostly salt water riding, he has seen too many plugs corroded into the cyliner head and were unable to be removed without taking the head off the engine.

I will keep an eye on the bolts as well, but his method certainly made sense to me as far as being able to reduce salt water corrosion.
    It was probably anti-seize. It stops the plugs from getting stuck in the aluminum head. IMO not 100% necessary but then again anti-seize only costs 8$ for a large amount and you will need it when changing props.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information