Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

newbie advice. Buying a Polaris Virage TX 1200 3 seater

Hi all i am a newbie to all this so treat me gently.

i am thinking of buying a Polaris Virage TX 1200 3 seater. it is a 2002 model,it has done 80hours.

I have heard of the Polaris skis having electrical issues.

What do i have to look out for?

Thanks
    Last edited by K447; 07-15-2015 at 07:14 AM.

+1
    Welcome to the hulk.. Keith(k-447) has a virage and will hopefully guide you thru your question.

I don't think there were any electrical issues with the 1200's, I'm pretty sure the bad stators were only on the 700,900,and 1050's
    80 hrs is really low it should be in great shape, but I would still perform a compression test before you buy it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

I believe the elec issues were resolved by 2000. You should be good to go with that ski as long as everything else checks out.

As mentioned above, do a compression test, make sure the ski runs, do a test ride if at all possible. You won't find any performance issues with it running in a driveway, only on the water will you realize them.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zacc300 View Post
    ...I am thinking of buying a Polaris Virage TX 1200 3 seater it is a 2002 model
    it has done 80hours

...I have heard of the Polaris skis having electrical issues.
    what do i have to look out for? ...
    Welcome to the Hulk

The Virage TX has a red 'domestic' carburetor engine. I say this just to be clear since there is also a Virage TXi model, which has a fuel injected engine.

Do take the time to click my signature links below. There is lots of good info available

The 2000 and newer 2-stroke carburetor PWC are among the more reliable that Polaris made.

To address what you have heard, the 1996-1999 domestic ignition systems did have a reliability issue, which was corrected with an Ignition System Upgrade Kit that is available from Polaris.

The Virage is a stable hull, yet quite fast. My own Virage TXi (same hull and engine, but fuel injected) runs right around 60mph, sometimes a tad faster. The Virage hull works best on smooth and modestly rough water.

With any older PWC (the 2002 models will be nine years old come summertime) the primary factor is not the engine hours. The most important thing is the maintenance and care that it has received over time, and the ongoing care that you provide.

Reliable does not mean maintenance free

There are a few known issues that you should attend to. None are show stoppers.

It is important to maintain the fuel system, as these engines do not tolerate gummed up or dirty fuel lines or carburetors. If the fuel system still has the original gray Tempo brand fuel lines, they must be removed and replaced with new.

The original gray Tempo fuel lines are known to degrade inside and create a greenish goo that then clogs up the carbs. Polaris was not the only PWC manufacturer to use these fuel lines, the problem was widespread in the industry.

Even if it seems to be running well, and especially if it is not, you should remove, disassemble, clean and rebuild the carburetors. This will ensure all the internal passages are clean and clear, and the carburetors are working properly. If you would rather not do this work yourself, there are places that you can send the carbs to that will do the job.

Beyond the fuel system, the original start solenoids can fail as they age. The newer replacement part is a better design, and not expensive.

Take the time to read about your engine and model and you will find most maintenance is straightforward.

I always suggest that when you get a new-to-you PWC (of any brand or age) to take the time to go over it from end to end. You can never know what you might find, from a loose bolt, nut or clamp to a cracked hose or something rubbing where it should not. Sometimes you may find parts missing, or the wrong part was installed.

Prior to purchase, be sure to check cylinder compression. All spark plugs out, throttle held wide open. With a strong battery, all three cylinders should be with 5% from highest to lowest. Typical PSI readings depend on the gauge, but typically are in the 120-140 range. The more important thing is that all three cylinder readings be close.

Also inquire about how the engine was prepared for storage. The best practice is to spray engine fogging oil into the carb intakes while the engine is idling, then shut the engine down. The fogging oil provides strong protection against internal rusting of the crank shaft bearings.

That said, many Polaris PWC owners rarely or never fog their engines, and many of those engines run just fine year after year. Internal corrosion from salt water riding is harder on the engine, so fogging becomes more important.

BTW, one of the best aspects of owning a Polaris PWC is the Greenhulk Polaris forums Lots of good info, parts and usually plenty of advice.

thanx guys , i also have the oputunity to get a seadoo gsxlimited with a freshh rebuild , out of the 2 skis whuch would give me less dramas?

so if it has the new ignition will it be reliable.

thanx guys , i also have the oputunity to get a seadoo gsxlimited with a freshh rebuild , out of the 2 skis whuch would give me less dramas?
    Was it a back yard rebuild or was it done by a professional?

+1
    so if it has the new ignition will it be reliable.
    A 2000 and newer Polaris carburetor model came from the factory with the Gen III ignition, which is the reliable version.

+1
    ...I also have the opportunity to get a Seadoo GSX Limited with a fresh rebuild,

out of the 2 skis which would give me less dramas?
    2-stroke or 4-stroke Sea-Doo?

Which year?

The 4-stroke Sea-Doo 4-Tec engine has turned out to be quite reliable, especially the non-supercharged versions. The 4-Tec engine did receive upgrades almost every year, so the very first model years are less good than the newer models.

The 2-stroke Sea-Doo engines are a case by case discussion.

The fuel injected Sea-Doo 2-stroke engines are love-hate. People love them until they break, then they hate them. The reputation is that they are hard to diagnose repair.

The carburetor Sea-Doo engines are different in design from the Polaris engines. From a service and reliability perspective, some Sea-Doo engine models are better than others.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information