Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aluminum shavings

Can anyone please tell me what this clear tube is, it loops from one side of the motor to the other. After fogging my ski today i noticed large aluminum shavings in this tube. My mech just reacently replaced the brass rotory gear. The ski runs fine, its a 97 seadoo gti 717cc single carb and has been switched over to premix. Any and all suggestions would be great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan16_0004.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	226445   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan16_0002.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	226446  

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    thats your lube hose that lubricates the counterbalance shaft and bearings, when switching to premix the oil tank must be left alone to keep oil going to your bearings looping the hose from one side to another is a half ass job done. This is not safe as if you have some leaky seals you will burn up the oil thats left on the hose and you will toast your bearings, a tank with oil is needed to supply oil to your bearings.

Wow ok the mech took out the oil tank and said it wasnt needed. Man o man ok my biggest concern is now WTF did these large aluminum shavings come from, as this tube is almost full of them! Ultramax thank you for explaining what this clear tube is.

+1
    welcome to the forum

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    thats your lube hose that lubricates the counterbalance shaft and bearings, when switching to premix the oil tank must be left alone to keep oil going to your bearings looping the hose from one side to another is a half ass job done. This is not safe as if you have some leaky seals you will burn up the oil thats left on the hose and you will toast your bearings, a tank with oil is needed to supply oil to your bearings.
    717 doesn't have a counter-balence. it just lubes the crank to RV gears and shaft.

but yes it always needs oil. you CAN remove the oil tank provided both oil lines are full of oil and either closed off or looped together. what color are the shavings? if gold(brass) you may want to inspect the RV gear. if silver, you have a more serious problem.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Yea so if hes just "looped" the hose what will that do guys? not a good idea to do it way with that oil tank,it will work but its shady

+1
    its just a oil bath for the rotary valve. there is no oil pump or way for the oil to burn off-provided the crank seals are good. its the same concept as the 787 and 951 with the CB gear oil. theres no tank or reservoir for the oil. just a oil bath. when looping the lines (or just closing them off), the lines themselves act as a reservoir as the oil in them is extra. the oil is just there to lube the crank to RV gears and the bearings that hold the RV shaft inplace. the rest of the crank is lubed by the fuel/oil mixture.

looping actually makes it easier to moniter. just mark where the oil level is in the lines and if it drops then you know you have a leak. when i bought my 95xp, it was on already on premix with the barb on the backside pluged off with a cap, and the oil line on the carb side crimped off where the oil was. it ran great with zero change in oil level for 20+ hrs until the motor DETOd itself to death because of a airleak.

Thank you RX 951. Mibunkerking these shavings are clearly aluminum or stainless. When he first switched it over to pre mix i noticed oil in this line, however now its dry. I wasnt told to watch this line nor would i care to as i have paid this guy a lot of cash. Sea-one even for a newbe i agree. Mibunkerking its kind of funny how he just had to replace the rotory gear a couple moths after pre mix conversion. I bought this ski 8 months ago and still have not rode it. Are these shavings im seeing coming from the crank? Is this pratice shady or did a air leak cause this, which i had no idea about? Is the motor canadian toast or just some interal parts as it still runs, just need some direction to go fourth. And guys i am a plumber not a mech. so if i miss something here feel free to call me out and remember all info is greatly apprected.

+1
    yeah that doesn't sound to good. the brass rotary gear is made to strip first to prevent damage to the crank. they can strip for a number of reasons. if there is no oil in the RV then i bet the shavings are from the bearing on the RV shaft. i would pull the RV shaft out and have a look.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Racers add a small oil tank kinda like the one found on a car for the brake fluid or clutch fluid it takes less space and its easier to monitor.
    I'm not a big fan of looping lines, cause when the oil runs out its a pain to refill and you have to constantly check it. I rather have a tank full of oil and ride without worries. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information