Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha FZR vs Seadoo Rxt-x 260

I am looking into a new ski but I'm stuck on deciding. I'm know they both have their pros and cons but i need a good suggestion from an experienced rider. Now i like an aggressive handling ski. I ride on a smaller lake with mild conditions. Price isn't a big deal but performance out of the box is. I don't care which one looks better. I almost always solo ride. I may do upgrades but I'm really just looking for a beast right out of the box. Thankyou for the help!

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystar5000 View Post
    I am looking into a new ski but I'm stuck on deciding. I'm know they both have their pros and cons but i need a good suggestion from an experienced rider. Now i like an aggressive handling ski. I ride on a smaller lake with mild conditions. Price isn't a big deal but performance out of the box is. I don't care which one looks better. I almost always solo ride. I may do upgrades but I'm really just looking for a beast right out of the box. Thankyou for the help!
    If you ride on little mild lakes and ride 1-up you definitely wouldnt need anything the likes of the RXTX! If you can, go ride both.

+1
    Finitely want the RXT-X 260. That thing out off the box accelerates like a beast. Remove the limiter and think you have 3mph right there.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaystar5000 View Post
    I have tested both the 2010 FZ and the 2010 RXT-X side my side.
    Both have strong points, both are great skis.

Hands down, the TX provides far more aggressive handling.
    It will carve like it's on rails, in fact I thought it was too aggressive for my liking.

They are both fast out of the box; the TX always jumped out first but the FZ caught up fast, in fact the FZ walked away from the TX multiple times; but they were very close in stock form, and it usually came down to the rider and how the trim was set.

The RXT-X has more bells and whistles; it's a very complex craft; it starts in neutral, it has brakes that really work, and a nicer finish overall. It also has some features that I didn't care for; like the way you have to select that stupid "sport mode" every time before starting. BRP needs to stop complicating things in my opinion. I prefer to keep things simple. Don't force me to select a computer mode in order to get top speed.

Also, I don't care for those massive holes in the top deck. In a lake it's less of a concern, but if the ski cuts off in a choppy situation and you wind up caught in a storm, this is potentially a very dangerous design. The covers don't just open; with just a little wiggling, they pop completely off! In the world of PWC, this means "gone."

I didn't like the size of the RXT-X either; it looked huge to me and I feel like it's better suited to offshore riding. Still, it's a really beautiful ski and you will probably love the handling.

For me, the overall cost for two skis and the fact that Sea-Doo wouldn't offer me a 5 year warranty last year made the Yamahas an easy choice. As I recall, they only offered a 2 year warranty on the Doos here in Florida, which was ridiculous considering the cost of those units.

If I really wanted an X ski, I would probably wait for 2012 and see if BRP comes out with a new RXP-X, which I have heard they may do. Hope this helps.

+1
    The seadoo out of the box is a very fast ski. for me, I dont like the riding style of the seadoo. Its like riding one of those little pit bull moto bikes.

FZR's ride style is more racing feel to me. Also if you did mod a FZR these is so many go fast products on the market for them. Just look at the online store!

my 2 cents aways.

+1
    You cant beat a yamaha for solid reliability. I have had many recent year seadoos and they have all had there share of problems. They require more attention e.g supercharger maint, carbon seals, hatch shocks failing, dess keys failing and more stops at the dealers to clear codes. Add more complex features like brakes ect and pray your nearest dealer is within a mile. Seadoos are more expensive and less reliable, easy choice!

If you buy during a boat show, you get a 5 year sea-doo warranty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SEADOO-SALE.jpg 
Views:	1416 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	227732

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalCSI View Post
    If you buy during a boat show, you get a 5 year sea-doo warranty.
    "Season Opening Event." Yeah, that's a boat show this month, but I doubt if they continue that offer for long, unless things have changed. They did the same thing last year, basically playing promotional games with their warranty for a few months out of the year to a limited no. of buyers. As I recall, this started in 2010 when BRP lost their underwriter for Florida, they sent out a letter to their dealers. My advice is, if you buy a Sea-doo make sure you grill them on the warranty in your state.

+1
    if your looking for fastest out of the box why don't you just get the rxpx?

Both are beasts...I would get the FZR and rest easy knowing I have the most reliable PWC brand out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information